VMware Horizon Community
onfire247
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to install Zoom correctly in an instant clone environment

Since there seems to be a bit of confusion on how to do Zoom correctly in VDI, I thought I'd post how I successfully setup Zoom in an instant clone Horizon environment.

1. In DEM, click on the Download Config Template to load the pre-configured Zoom setting into DEM.
  2. Browse to the VMwareDEMConfig\Config\general\Applications folder.
  3. Rename all three Zoom icons, changing "Zoom" to "ZoomVDI" in all three icons.
  4. In DEM, hit Refresh Tree. You should now see a ZoomVDI option under Applications.
  5. In the ZoomVDI Import/Export tab, change [IncludeFolderTrees] <AppData>\Zoom to <AppData>\ZoomVDI
  6. In the DirectFlex Tab, Add a new executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZoomVDI\bin\Zoom.exe
  7. Delete the other executable until the previous line is the only executable. DirectFlex should still be checked at this point.
  8. Click the Save Config File button
  9. In the Golden Image, install the corporate version of Zoom for VDI (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360041602711) [File name: ZoomInstallerVDI.msi]
  10. Snapshot the image and push it to a test pool.

After following these steps, you should have a start menu icon called ZoomVDI in your test Windows 10 pool. Launch it and save your credentials. When you log out and back in, it should allow you to run the ZoomVDI icon with saved credentials. The profile size is about 13MB.

Have I missed any steps or configurations that I should make to improve my install?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi onfire247,

The DEM Zoom for VDI Config Template remembers out-of-the-box my saved credentials at the next login.

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@onfire247 

As @mrkasius already pointed out, I recently published a config for Zoom for VDI in the communities. It has some extra exclusions to prevent the more than 2.000 emoticons to be zipped/unzipped everytime Zoom is started. It also contains an extra setting to be able to let the user choose "run at startup".

Besides the DEM config, also don't forget if you want to use Zoom on VDI, there's also a client plugin that needs to be installed on the local computer, depending on what version you have installed in the VDI. On this page VDI Release Version 3.3.3 – Zoom Help Center you can find the installed for the VDI on the left column and the corresponding client plugins in the second column.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
onfire247
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information guys. I saw the plugin but I was confused where it goes. We mostly use zero clients, but we do have a few of the Wyse 3000 series thin clients. Are you saying the plugin needs to be installed on those thin clients, or just people's personal PCs who use the Horizon client remotely?

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've only worked with Windows computers, who need the plugin installed to make the optimized mode for Zoom work. I'm guessing the same goes for other types of clients: they need the local plugin installed or the plugin needs to be build into the firmware or something like that.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
Bickity
Contributor
Contributor

Zoom Media Plugin is available for ThinOS 9.1 for Horizon. We started moving some of our Thin Clients to 9.1, and have found several bugs with the 5470 model. The 5070 is pretty stable.

0 Kudos
KenArcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there some trick to getting Zoom for VDI to launch using https://zoom.us/test? I tried both Chrome and Edge after installing the client and neither will automatically launch the meeting. The users have to manually start the client/meeting.

0 Kudos