VMware Horizon Community
Maarten_Caus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to build up the start menu in Windows 8.1 Enterprise?

Hi,

I m using VMware Horizon 7 Floating desktop pools W8.1 Enterprise with UEM 9.

I use a mandatory profile to speed up logon times.

When using the mandatory profile in combination with UEM 9 to create start menu shortcuts they are not created.

I know in windows 8.1 you can use a custom fixed start menu with an XML file or a flexbile with a custom start menu in a .bin file in the default profile.

I m using appvolumes so I need to be able to create the shotcuts with UEM otherwise I won't be easy to manage for the customer.

I tried using the default profile as mandatory profile with UEM 9 to create shortcuts but the shortcuts are not created.

What is the best way to set this up?

Local profiles with UEM 9?

Is there a way to get it to work with a mandatory profile because I want fast logon times?

Thanks!

Kinds regards,

Maarten

Raido BE

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

The shortcuts created by UEM show up in the Windows 8 and Windows 10 Start Menu under 'All Apps'

Please check if that works.

Unfortunately Microsoft does not provide an API to create Metro Tiles in the Start Menu, so UEM cannot do that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

The shortcuts created by UEM show up in the Windows 8 and Windows 10 Start Menu under 'All Apps'

Please check if that works.

Unfortunately Microsoft does not provide an API to create Metro Tiles in the Start Menu, so UEM cannot do that.

0 Kudos
Maarten_Caus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Pim,

Thank you for the feedback you provided to Jan.

If anyone else is strugling with follow these steps below:

Tip: Don't use a mandatory profile, you can personalize Active Setup with UEM.

1. Create and import a default start menu following this blog: http://stealthpuppy.com/customizing-the-windows-8-1-start-screen-dont-follow-microsofts-guidance/ in your master image.
    So that the user gets a customized start screen when he log ons for the first time.
  2. Create a new Personalization Windows setting and Call it Start Menu. Add the config below:

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Accent

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Windows\Caches

[IncludeIndividualFolders]

<AppData>\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

[IncludeFiles]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolderLayout.bin

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolder.itemdata-ms

3.Create a new Personalization Windows setting, select Active Setup. So that the active setup is saved between user sessions.
    The second logon is than about 5 to 10 seconds faster.

That's it, the users start menu will be roamed between sessions and you can manage the user start menu all apps view with UEM.
You can set the all apps view default with desktop apps listed firt with GPO for user convenience.

Credits to Pim for pointing us in the right direction.

Kind regards,

Maarten

Raido BE

@pim_van_de_vis

0 Kudos