VMware Horizon Community
tschuegy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Helpdesk Support Tool does not work with Silo configuration

We are using silo configuration for our environments. One silo per environment. Unfortunately, the helpdesk tool does not work with the silo configuration(without general configuration).

Example: Working config without silo

Console

Console_Working.PNG

Config folder

OhneSilo_Root.PNG

general folder

OhneSilo_General.PNG

User archive folder

User.PNG

working Helpdesk Tool

Helpdesk_Working.PNG

Example: config with silo --> Not working

Console

Console_APP.PNG

config folder

Silo_Root.PNG

general folder (empty)

Silo_General.PNG

Silo APP folder

Silo_APP_Root.PNG

Silo APP content

Silo_APP.PNG

Helpdesk Tool not working

Helpdesk_NotWorking.PNG

Conclusion: The Helpdesk Tool will not work without settings in the general directory.

How can I configure the helpdesk tool to handle silo configurations?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
tschuegy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@DEMdev Can you please take a look at my problem?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @tschuegy,

Sorry, I haven't been active on VMTN for a long time... The Helpdesk Support Tool does indeed not have silo support. I've created an internal write-up quite a while ago describing a kind of workaround. I can try and dig that up in case you're still trying to look for way to make this work?

0 Kudos
tschuegy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @DEMdev 
I would be very interested in the workaround. can you describe it to me?
0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @tschuegy,

The best workaround I can come up with requires launching the Helpdesk Support Tool twice, once for the “Global” config files, profile archives, and backups, and once for the silo-specific files. That second instance requires the creation of a folder structure (which can live anywhere, outside of the standard configuration folder) containing directory junctions to the “real” silo folders.

Create a folder like C:\Flex\SiloHelpdeskHack\General, and copy the “Global” Helpdesk Support Tool config file that’s currently being used next to that new General folder:

C:\>dir /s C:\Flex\SiloHelpdeskHack
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 4C1E-CE2B

Directory of C:\Flex\SiloHelpdeskHack

10/28/2020  01:21 PM    <DIR>          .
10/28/2020  01:21 PM    <DIR>          ..

10/28/2020  01:17 PM    <DIR>          General
10/28/2020  01:11 PM               388 Immidio Flex+ Helpdesk Support Tool.xml
               1 File(s)            388 bytes

Inside that new General folder, create symlinks to the “real” silos folders, like:

C:\Flex\SiloHelpdeskHack>cd General

C:\Flex\SiloHelpdeskHack\General>mklink /D Silo-A-Test C:\Flex\Configuration\silos\SiloA
symbolic link created for Silo-A-Test <<===>> C:\Flex\Configuration\silos\SiloA

If the Silo-specific suffix policy setting is configured, use that as the name for the symlink; otherwise, just use the silo name. In my experiments I configured my silo-specific GPOs to use suffices Silo-A-Test and Silo-B-Test for silos SiloA and SiloB, respectively. Put differently: make sure the symlink names match the relative subfolder names where the users’ silo-specific archives and backups reside.

After symlinking your silo folders, the new General folder should look something like this:

Directory of C:\Flex\SiloHelpdeskHack\General

10/28/2020  01:17 PM    <DIR>          .
10/28/2020  01:17 PM    <DIR>          ..

10/28/2020  01:10 PM    <SYMLINKD>     Silo-A-Test [C:\Flex\Configuration\silos\SiloA]
10/28/2020  01:10 PM    <SYMLINKD>     Silo-B-Test [C:\Flex\Configuration\silos\SiloB]
               0 File(s)              0 bytes

You can now launch the “Silos” instance of the Helpdesk Support Tool: "C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\Flex+ Helpdesk Support Tool.exe" -FlexConfig C:\Flex\SiloHelpdeskHack, specifying the path of that special folder structure (excluding General.)

So, all in all quite involved...

0 Kudos