VMware Horizon Community
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hadling Url Redirection Policy With DEM

Hey guys, 

I need to create a computer base policy for my RDS hosts and the following VMware ADMX templates do not work

Url Redirection Enabled

Url Redirection Protocol 'https'
Url Redirection Protocol 'http'

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @cbaptiste,

DEM only supports policy settings in "real" policy keys (like "HKLM\Software\Policies\...) Those URL redirection settings live in the "normal" HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\URLRedirection.

This is by design, as non-policy "policies" are not a good practice. However, I've now seen this come up sufficiently often to consider lifting that restriction.

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for confirming. It's fair to say there isn't a way to accomplish this at this time?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @cbaptiste,

It's possible, but not very convenient: you could create a .REG file with the corresponding settings, and use a DEM startup task to launch reg(edit) to import that. Not sure what the value add of using DEM would be in that scenario, though...

cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

😔

Don't mean to jump out to topics but when is DEM going to allow computer environment manger to create shortcuts, registry settings, file and folders, including policies settings that are not "real" policies? 

I am currently running DEM 9.11 in production. DEM 2013 10.2 in LAB and still not sure if it's worth moving to production with that version since it is lacking essential features. 

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I'm confused about what your asking, it does all that now, unless you mean the computer specific tab? Why would shortcuts be there, I can see the others just shortcuts are a user centered feature and should never there, this is still a "User Environment Manager" even though the changed the name as far as I know. The computer tab and stuff they've been adding are for the parts that require computer specific settings, but in the end are still meant for the user. I would love this to be able to completely replace group policy on and computer, but on persistent desktops a  mix between DEM and Group policy is still needed in my opionion.

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've had use cases, mostly RDS, where I want to to create a shortcut for an application on the clones at computer start up and then publish such application through Horizon view. I like my environment as dynamic as it can be. I don't want unnecessary applications and/or shortcuts on my desktops. Everything gets created at clone level at computer start up. Currently I am running a script through task scheduler, as system, that created shortcuts to the desktops, RDSH and VDI, base on their naming conditions. The script also set registry keys for applications on the clones base on computer name as well. 

The bottom line is I have over 100+ pools and  I wish to manage has as low as three golden images if possible.

0 Kudos