VMware Horizon Community
smartin05
Contributor
Contributor

Google Chrome Still Showing after Uninstall

Hello, I wanted to see if anyone has experienced this same issue because I am at a loss.  I am beginning to introduce Instant Clones (IC) in my environment and I have a handful of users that I am using as my Pilot group.  On my IC Gold Image, I started out having Google Chrome installed.  We recently started having an error occur when opening Chrome "side-by-side" error so I opted to remove Chrome from my gold image until I could identify the issue.

Here is the problem.  After uninstalling Chrome from my Gold Image and making sure I cleaned up any remaining folders related to Google Chrome, the application still appears to be installed when my users log into their IC VM.  The Google desktop icon is still present, the Start Menu icon is still present and it even shows up in my Programs listing under Control Panel.

At one point, I was testing this application within App Volumes, but I have gone so far as to delete the package from the App Volumes as verified no one is part of the security group that has been assigned within AD.  

Each user has a writeable disk, is it possible that this app is cached somewhere?  I have never experienced this before and I can't wrap my head around what is making it display.  Yes, I have verified and triple-checked that I am using the new snapshot created after uninstalling the app.

Has anyone experienced this before and if so, how did you fix the issue?  I have a case open with VMware, but I'm not getting a quick response.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
guerrdenn12
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have had this issue many times before you will need to remove it from the Registry of from the VDI 

Open the registry delete this : Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ChromeHTML\Application ( Delete the entire Chrome HTML folder then r reboot and then reinstall chrome.

0 Kudos
smartin05
Contributor
Contributor

@guerrdenn12  Thanks for the reply, I will definitely give this a try.  VMware support got back to me and we ended up deleting the Writeable Volume that was assigned to the users having this problem.  This did clear up my issue, but of course, caused some disruption in setting up the user's profiles again.  If I come across this again, I will start with your solution.

0 Kudos