VMware Horizon Community
fieldsc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Global Conditions for UEM Personalization

I'm starting a new deployment of non-persistent Windows 10 (1709) and Windows 7 desktops throughout our organization that will be relying heavily on UEM for User Personalization as well as UEM policies.  I've got a decent grasp on how I'm setting this up for our named users, but I've also got a large number of kiosk-esk VMs that I'd like to manage user and Horizon polices via UEM, but without any personalization.  My first thought was to just create a condition for user personalization "IF %user% NOT memberOf %group%", but I can't find anyway of doing this at the top level.  Aside from adding this condition to every config, or creating a separate UEM config and group policy for these VMs, is there a way that this can be done cleaning?

Thanks,

Clayton

EDIT: I'm using 9.3.0.804

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi fieldsc,

There is no functionality in the product that covers this scenario. Hearing your use case it makes total sense to me, but this has never come up previously.

The only approach that comes to mind is a bit of a hack, but not that bad... If there are no Flex config files in the root of the General folder, you could get away with just having an additional GPO apply to your kiosk-esque user population, with just the Flex config files policy setting configured – specify the same Central location of Flex config files path, but uncheck Process folder recursively.

So your kiosk users would get the same GPO as the others, but with Process folder recursively being overridden by a separate GPO.

Not proud of it, but the best I can come up with right now 🙂 At least you won't need to touch all your config files or duplicate and prune your config share...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Clayton,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to create a condition and re-use it multiple times, right?

If that is the case, you can create a ""Condition Set" using the "Condition Set" tab, in which you define what you want and use this confition set for your actions.

Does this answer your question?

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi fieldsc,

There is no functionality in the product that covers this scenario. Hearing your use case it makes total sense to me, but this has never come up previously.

The only approach that comes to mind is a bit of a hack, but not that bad... If there are no Flex config files in the root of the General folder, you could get away with just having an additional GPO apply to your kiosk-esque user population, with just the Flex config files policy setting configured – specify the same Central location of Flex config files path, but uncheck Process folder recursively.

So your kiosk users would get the same GPO as the others, but with Process folder recursively being overridden by a separate GPO.

Not proud of it, but the best I can come up with right now 🙂 At least you won't need to touch all your config files or duplicate and prune your config share...

ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Aside from adding this condition to every config, or creating a separate UEM config and group policy for these VMs, is there a way that this can be done cleaning?

Ignore my answer, missed the line. Shouldn't be answering questions early in the morning without coffee :smileysilly:

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
0 Kudos
fieldsc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's what I was afraid of, thanks.  I'll move forward that way.

Thanks,

Clayton