VMware Horizon Community
Geo_VM
Contributor
Contributor

General File and Folder sync with UEM

I Need to sync some files outside of the provided user profile paths in UEM. If I were to have a folder c:\root and wanted to sync file(s) in it how do you accomplish this in UEM? Presently I am getting the flexengine.log file showing [ERROR] ExportFiles 'C:\ROOT' is not a valid directory path. Looking to do a logon / logoff Sync for these file(s) or Folders.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can't because it is not a user folder. Using UEM (that's what the U stands for) you can only "sync" files and folders within the %USERPROFILE% folder which is the c:\Users\<USERNAME> folder and everything beneath it.

Regarding registry you can only collect information in the HKCU, not in the HKLM.

If you would like to do that with stateless pooled desktop you would need to use Appvolumes and create a writable.

0 Kudos
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Geo,

Yep, you can do it with a little configuration.  See the examples in this thread

Basically, prior to exporting your UEM saved settings, you copy the stuff you want to the roaming profile.  The when the roaming profile is populated again you copy the files back to where you want them.

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

LOL, nice one.. Haven't seen that trick before.. It is off course a way of doing it but not how UEM is intended, still very smart thinking there :smileycool:

0 Kudos
Geo_VM
Contributor
Contributor

That's a bummer, I have to support several applications that keep their settings with their own directories. Some off root of c others within a folder under program files or program files(x86). But as I think about this more these are more application settings and not so much user specific that I have to persist. I was hoping to make it so each user could have their own application settings persist, but may be limited to just having a default available on the image and will need other methods and tricks such as the file copies to make these settings unique per user.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The moment an applications actually writes information into anything else than the profile it is normally bad programming because a "normal" user does not have permissions there on either a folder on C or any folder in program files.

One thing to keep in mind if you do deliver the folder using Appstacks. Permissions on folder are pertained if set during packaging so you can change specific permissions on folders in appstacks.

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Geo_VM,

just curious, what applications are we talking about ?

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
Geo_VM
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not going to list them out and I'm not sure that they are commercially available, but they do store application customizations in their respective folders. They are not commercially available. One sets it directly under the C drive, one under program files. I did think of another option this morning that I have not tried yet. Windows 10 supports use of Symbolic Links. Once I identify all the settings file's I can use a logon script or maybe if I can tie symbolic links script at run time using UEM, and map out symbolic links to these files to somewhere in the profile directory. I'm thinking this may work!

0 Kudos