VMware Horizon Community
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Folder redirection question

For years we've redirected all our user's my documents folders to their private network share via Group Policy and it has worked great.

I'm now working on migrating away from linked clones and implementing instant clones with Appvolumes and DEM.

I'm really close to start deploying my new instant clones but I can't determine why my redirection group policies won't work on the instant clone VMs. Is there something in DEM that blocks it? 

I see that DEM can also do redirection, but I already have this in place.

I've run GPO results against my user while testing and don't even see my redirection policies in the reporting as allowed or denied.

I also see the same issue with mapped drive policies. None of those are applying either.

Any thoughts on this? I appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

When you referred to gpo and instant clone, i recommend considering the kb https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2150495

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding the master image to the domain and setting the DEM policy to merge instead of replace seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the advice!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Surprised to not get any input on this at all. Does no one have an idea on this? I did set up some redirection for testing in DEM but as I said it's already a GPO why do it twice?

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

DEM does not block the folder redirection configured in GPO. But you can review the OS Optimization Tool part once: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2150264

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have done more research on this and working with support. None of our user GPOs will apply to VMs in the OU where DEM GPO is applied and we can't determine why. Support has no ideas either.

The reg key mentioned in the KB article linked by @kvmw2130 didn't make a difference when restoring the missing key in regards to the policies not applying. We will keep investigating.

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

When you referred to gpo and instant clone, i recommend considering the kb https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2150495

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is useful information, however it points out that it's for computer based GPO and not user. In my case computer GPOs are working and user are not. I will look at this a bit more and see if the recommendations help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Got it, last thing I can think of would be reviewing the Loop back group policy mode. Could you please check if you configured this as replace mode or merge mode? Merge mode could resolve this.

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes I did review this early on and the documentation I followed said to use replace. I tried in Merge mode w/o success but now wondering if I did change to Merge and do the new snapshot per the KB you linked previously. That may do it. Will test tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm reviewing this KB again and it doesn't make sense because it talks about the parent VM, which for us is an image that isn't yet on the domain. The clones are added to the domain on the fly. So the GPOs can't apply to it at all.

I tracked down the template that is created that the clones are built from but you can't snapshot those as they exist as a snapshot already. So I think I'm back to square one.

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding the master image to the domain and setting the DEM policy to merge instead of replace seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the advice!

0 Kudos