VMware Horizon Community
olegkz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failing to profile VS2019

I am trying to profile Visual Studio 2019 to import registry and file settings to UEM. I run Application Profiler, select VS2019. It runs, i start without code and then close the app. But profiling doesn't stop. So i click Stop Analysis button and it says that one process is still running. ServiceHub.SettingsHost.exe (or IdentityHost). Can't find this process anywhere by its name or PID. Maybe with 2019 it is part of some service? Or maybe it is not actually running and Application Profiler is "thinking" it is still on, a glitch?

pastedImage_0.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi olegkz,

That's most probably due to the Exclusions that are configured by default. When you profile an application, Windows itself will access all kinds of Microsoft registry keys and files, which typically should not be included in the generated Flex config file for that particular application.

For that reason, Application Profiler excludes those paths by default, but that can cause the symptoms you're describing when you're trying to profile a Microsoft application that actually saves its settings in those locations...

As a quick test, you can un-check the two exclusion options:

pastedImage_2.png

That will probably result in a lot of irrelevant locations to be captured. For a more targeted approach, you can modify the specific exclusions via the two Manage Exclusions buttons:

pastedImage_4.png

Just to make sure, the templates repository contains a template for Microsoft Visual Studio:

pastedImage_5.png

Does that not work (sufficiently well) for Visual Studio 2019?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to Dynamic Environment Manager

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi olegkz,

It can occasionally happen that Application Profiler doesn't notice that a child process has terminated, which is exactly why we have that dialog Smiley Happy.

Given that you don't see the process running any more, it may have exited slightly later than the main executable. "ServiceHub.IdentityHost.exe" does not sound like a particularly relevant process, so probably Application Profiler won't miss any important profile settings.

0 Kudos
olegkz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When i press Yes, it finishes profiling, but Flex window stays blank. I only get binaries and paths, but no registry entries saved.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi olegkz,

That's most probably due to the Exclusions that are configured by default. When you profile an application, Windows itself will access all kinds of Microsoft registry keys and files, which typically should not be included in the generated Flex config file for that particular application.

For that reason, Application Profiler excludes those paths by default, but that can cause the symptoms you're describing when you're trying to profile a Microsoft application that actually saves its settings in those locations...

As a quick test, you can un-check the two exclusion options:

pastedImage_2.png

That will probably result in a lot of irrelevant locations to be captured. For a more targeted approach, you can modify the specific exclusions via the two Manage Exclusions buttons:

pastedImage_4.png

Just to make sure, the templates repository contains a template for Microsoft Visual Studio:

pastedImage_5.png

Does that not work (sufficiently well) for Visual Studio 2019?

olegkz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm new to VDI/UEM and it seems i don't have access to that template store. But i have tried your advice of disabling exclusions and now it generated a long list of registry and folders. I just wanted to compare what we already have in UEM with VS2019 analysis. Because what we have might be based on 2017 version. Just checking if we are not missing some registry tree or such. Thank you for you help.

antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Use the account that you connect to this community when logging into the store. Or your my.vmware.com account...not sure which of the two it is.

0 Kudos
olegkz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried using the same login as in these forums. It says Invalid credentials. I didn't have My VMware or any other VMware account before registering on these forums.

0 Kudos