VMware Horizon Community
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enabling VIP without redirecting client printers?

Is there a way to use VIP (VMware Integrated Printing) without the redirection of all local installed printers on a Winodws Client?

As I understand VIP get's disabled when using the "VMware Integrated Printing Policy Settings" "Do not redirect client printer(s)".

Is there a way to get both, I mean VIP enabled without the local printers? We just want the printer-mapping from DEM.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@TomH201110141 

Why would you need Integrated Printing if you don't want to redirect client local printers? 

Integrated printing is to be able to print to printers installed on the local client connecting to the VDI without the need to install specific drivers on the VDI. It cannot be used to print to network-shared printers directly from the VDI.

Printer mapping from DEM is to use network-based printers, so you would need the printer driver already on the VDI or have it available on the print server. 

Or am I missing something here?

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Mickeybyte,

thanks for you reply. You are completely right with your thoughts about VIP. The main reason I want VIP is, that it is the only reliable way to set the default printer.

It's really strange but enabling "Do not redirect client printer(s)" should disable VIP but I still see entries in the log like "Setting printer '\\KESVR-PRINT\P02-Flur' as default using VMware Integrated Printing" ... BUT the default printer doesn't get set. 

That's why I enable VIP to get the default printer set - that's our only reliable way. 

Best regards, Tom

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@TomH201110141 

I see 2 other GPO settings that you might need to check here: 

• Disable LBP -> Have you tried enabling this? 
  • Do not change default printer -> This should not be enabled I guess

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos