VMware Horizon Community
Scott_G1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Edge not showing for new users

Hey all,

I am using Windows 10 1709 with View 7.3.1 and UEM 9.6

I tweak the parent image to my liking including a custom start menu and tile layout. This includes Edge and Chrome in a Browsers group in the start menu. When I log on as a standard user I get the layout but Edge is missing. The space is there for it but no icon. When I hit the start menu and search for Edge it isn't there. I know it is part of the parent but it has vanished.

I ran this in powershell on the parent and here is the output

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*Edge*"}

Name                   : Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge

Publisher              : CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US

Architecture           : Neutral

ResourceId             :

Version                : 40.15063.674.0

PackageFullName        : Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_40.15063.674.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe

InstallLocation        : C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

IsFramework            : False

PackageFamilyName      : Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

PublisherId            : 8wekyb3d8bbwe

PackageUserInformation : {S-1-5-21-2188134123-2592434504-3941987552-1003 [svc_nessus]: Installed,

S-1-5-21-2188134123-2592434504-3941987552-1001 [Admin]: Installed}

IsResourcePackage      : False

IsBundle               : False

IsDevelopmentMode      : False

IsPartiallyStaged      : False

This is the start menu on the parent

pastedImage_0.png

This is the start menu on the non-persistent linked clone

pastedImage_2.png

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Scott_G1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump? Can't believe I am the only one to have seen this

0 Kudos
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm running into a similar issue, but Edge won't even launch for anyone other than the local administrator (if you go to c:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge....\MicrosoftEdge.exe and click it, the cursor disappears and nothing else happens)

odd part is it's only happening in their environment,, I have the same image built in my lab and it works fine.

0 Kudos
Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you also have the issue of calculator/sticky notes/etc also not showing for new users? Or just Edge?

0 Kudos
RanHar
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the same thing (linked clone/floating pool/no folder redirection for users/Windows 10 1903).  Edge is present on parent VM, but not available on taskbar, start, or as desktop shortcut, and can't be found via search.  You can create a shortcut and execute it, and Edge will open.  It's simply not creating the Edge access for a new user.

0 Kudos
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is the new Chromium based Edge installed? That would remove the old MS Edge.

0 Kudos
RanHar
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to come back to this post, but this was my solution.  I just installed the "new" Edge in an appstack with some core apps we use. 

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Scott,

You may try enabling this GPO  called "Allow Deployment operations in special profiles"                                                                                   

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ran, you're saying you did that as an alternative, or the solution was that the new edge chromium removed the old edge?    

0 Kudos
RanHar
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I did that as an alternate solution.  I believe the original issue may be due to the optimization tool and and what it does with the Microsoft Store, and the fact that the old Edge browser is attached to the Microsoft Store as opposed to being an installed application. And no, the new Edge did not remove the old one; it just never showed up on the vm  (but it was in the base/golden image).

0 Kudos