VMware Horizon Community
nickerm
Contributor
Contributor

Edge Search Providers and Extensions Resetting

If you use the built in Edge template it captures

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

This location contains the "Protected - It is a violation of Windows Policy to modify. See aka.ms/browserpolicy" key which houses the search providers and installed extensions.

However, by capturing this, every time a user switches computers and opens Edge, they receive messages about the search provider settings, homepage settings, and extensions are corrupted and need to be reset.

Other settings for Edge roam ok (i.e. popup blocker settings, etc.)  however anything in that Protected key does not work for me.  And in fact using the template kind of makes it worse because every time you switch desktops Edge throws the error messages and resets all the search providers and extensions.

Is this just expected behavior at this point?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
nickerm
Contributor
Contributor

Just an update, I have excluded the following locations which at least stops the error messages from appearing and resetting Edge every time you switch PCs.  It of course prevents these settings from roaming, however this is preferable to the alternative and at least allows the other basic Edge settings to roam.

[ExcludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Protected - It is a violation of Windows Policy to modify. See aka.ms/browserpolicy

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Extensions

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\ExtensionsStore

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\EdgeExtensions

0 Kudos