VMware Horizon Community
Pim_van_de_Vis

Edge Chromium template

Hello,

I have created a rough Edge Chromium template for the new released Edge browser based on the Chromium engine.

Edge Chromium.ini.zip

This should capture all settings, but might need some exclusions to prevent the ZIP file growing too large.

Please leave your comments and experiences so we can improve this template over time.

Cheers

24 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis

I now see that Microsoft Edge for business is also available, including ADMX templates to configure and control Edge:

Download Microsoft Edge for Business - Microsoft

Will give this a try.

Pim_van_de_Vis

And here:

https://www.avanite.com/blog/roaming-edge-chromium

Lots of info available already.

JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've been testing the DEM Edge Chromium Config File provided on the Avanite,com site.

My zip files average around 1,050kb, without extensions.  Just bookmarks and light browsing...

Don't forget to setup the ADMX files and enable some of the features like Background Tab Freezing (TabFreezingEnabled) and Disabling Hardware Graphics.

Gotta keep that CPU load down!

Looks great so far!

0 Kudos
MissAvanite
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for sharing our blog, lots of new and exciting things going on within Avanite with Edge Chromium, stop by our website or check out our social channels, twitter & Linked In.

0 Kudos
MissAvanite
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John - just wanted to share that we have a new blog out today 'Roaming Edge Chromium IE Mode' hope you find it useful!

0 Kudos
MissAvanite
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pim_van_de_Vis - just wanted to share that we have a new blog out today 'Roaming Edge Chromium IE Modehope you find it useful!

0 Kudos
DNieroda
Contributor
Contributor

Thoughts on removing the old DEM config for legacy Edge? Safe to do so?

0 Kudos
MissAvanite
Contributor
Contributor

Hey DNieroda - great to hear from you!

To answer your question, it depends if you are using it “Side by Side”.  There is a policy to do this and if you retain the legacy Edge then you may want to keep it.  If you haven’t installed in “Side by Side” mode then it should be safe to remove it.  That said, it will depend on your configuration – for example, check the IE settings (eg. cookies/webcache etc) are being handled by a different part of the config.

I hope this helps, MissAvanite

www.avanite.com

0 Kudos
dvdende
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just for future reference:

If someone wants to include application token information, include the folder below:

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Local Storage

Ciao

SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Whats the status of this new template and is it working nicely?

I have to make a quick switch from IE and Chrome to the new Chromium based edge within our golden images and was hoping DEM is able to help me out here Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
robsisk1972
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Following and implementing now.

0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As of Chrome version 85 the option RoamingProfileSupportEnabled is added to Edge. This would make it a lot easier to roam userdate using DEM, just like with Chrome.

For more info see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-policies#roamingprofilesupportenabled

I am implementing and testing right now....

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is fantastic news!   The Edge Chromium's user based sync was a pain, as I always had to have the users login.

This will be an easier way to capture their favorite bar shortcuts!

Please let us know how it works out for you

0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am testing the new browser and GPO settings.

Favorites and settings are saved and roaming nicely. Cookies however are not! Still looking how to roam those.

I had to enable the following GPO settings:

• Configure automatic sign in with an Active Directory domain account when there is no Azure AD domain account
  • Enable using roaming copies for Microsoft Edge profile data

In DEM i have the following config:

[IncludeFiles]

<AppData>\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\profile.pb

After a user opens Edge, the following message is shown to the user telling the user he/she is automatically logged in to Edge.

pastedImage_5.png

If anyone has an idea on roaming cookies that would be nice.

0 Kudos
robsisk1972
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The persistence provided by Avante is solid and works well.  Seems to persist what users want without growing too large.  

0 Kudos
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I was having this issue and found the solution in another thread here somewhere (though can't find it now!).

Basically, add the following settings so cookies can be decrypted.

'Personal certificates - Appdata NOT redirected'

Cheers

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
0 Kudos
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

pastedImage_0.png

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi mellicott​ Thanks for the info, but have you tested this using the new Chromium based Edge in combination with the setting "Enable using roaming copies for Microsoft Edge profile data"?

0 Kudos