VMware Horizon Community
sjwood
Contributor
Contributor

Drive & Folder Sharing - Intermittently not working

Hello

I have an issue that a few users have been experiencing and now myself have noticed regarding Drive & Folder redirection via the Horizon client. Despite having the "Share your local files" setting enabled within the client settings as well as "Do not show dialog when connecting" unchecked I'm never prompted to Allow/Deny nor do the drives ever map within my session. 

At first I assumed it had to be an issue with the Horizon client. I've tried toggling settings, updating the client, as well as completely uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. 

I then tried with another user account and that account was prompted to Allow/Deny drive/folder sharing as expected and when allowed the drives showed up as mapped drives within the Horizon session. As a test I deleted the DEM profile of the account having the issue. Once logged in a new DEM profile was provisioned and was prompted to Allow/Deny the drive/folder share. 

This leads me to believe that something is being stored within the DEM profile to override the user's Horizon client settings. Is there something I can check & remedy instead of completely blowing away the profile? One particular user has had this issue for months now and we haven't been able to find any other solution. Sometimes the drive/folder sharing will work for several weeks. This past time it only worked for a couple of days. 

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sam0054
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@sjwood 

I had similar issue and here's what I did that solves my problem.

• Update the VMware Horizon Client to the latest version
  • Update Horizon Client also to the latest version
  • Reboot the server and try toggle the sharing options from the Horizon Client setting menu

Hope it helps

Regards

Sam

0 Kudos
sjwood
Contributor
Contributor

@Sam0054 

Sorry for the late response. I never saw a notification that there was a reply. 

I setup a pool with latest versions of DEM and Horizon View Agent. Also installed latest Horizon client on desktop and rebooted our DEM server. Logged in with an account that was having the issue and it wasn't resolved. 

I blew away the DEM profile. Logged in to create a fresh new profile and was prompted to allow drive sharing as expected. I clicked allow and left the "Do not ask me again" option unchecked. 

I logged off of that account and then back in a few minutes later. No prompt to allow drive share and no network drive showing the drive redirection. It seems like once it gets to this point there's no way to get the drive redirection to work again without deleting the DEM profile. 

Update: I've found a way to recreate the problem. I just don't know how to fix it. As soon as my O365 credentials are being synced to Edge within the VDI session it will not map the drive share. When I sign out of Edge and log off and back on the drive share works.

I thought maybe roaming the Edge settings was causing the drive share to timeout or something. So I found the GPO for View Agent Configuration/Horizon Client drive Redirection and set the timeout from the default 5 seconds to 20 seconds. But that doesn't seem to be making a difference. 

0 Kudos
Sam0054
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@sjwood 

So, was your problem resolved or still figuring out ways to resolve?

0 Kudos
sjwood
Contributor
Contributor

@Sam0054 

We never figured out why Edge sync was breaking the drive mapping functionality or how to resolve it. So, our workaround is to just manually create bookmarks and roam with DEM instead of relying on Edge to sync.  One day maybe we'll get lucky with a new version of DEM/Horizon to fix it. Or, convince the user to use OneDrive. 

Thanks for reaching back out!

0 Kudos
sjwood
Contributor
Contributor

@Sam0054 

Update: We have settings configured to be roamed for both Edge and Chrome. When I disabled those configs for this particular user the drive sharing now works as intended. There must be something in those configs that is causing the drive sharing to stop working after the user logs off. 

I'm going to go line by line in both configs and see what needs to be removed to not break the drive sharing. 

0 Kudos