VMware Horizon Community
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

DirectFlex not launching for an application

I have to install an application directly under c:\ (i.e. c:\appname\app.exe). I've enabled DirectFlex for this app .ini file in UEM and provided the path to the executable. Not sure why but when I launch the app I can clearly see in the flexengine.log that there is no DirectFlex Import for that app.

I try other apps and the logs show successful DirectFlex imports. I need the DirectFlex working because I have Pre-Export and Post-Export tasks that run within the app User Environment section. If I disable DirectFlex for the app, the app User Environment section also gets disabled.

Why isn't DirectFlex working for this particular app? Is it because it's installed under c:\, and not a more common c:\program files\?

Basically, I'm trying to do this exact same thing:

https://www.snurf.co.uk/vmware/uem/capture-files-outside-of-user-profile-with-vmware-uem/

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi guys. It looks to be working now. So, it seems that DirectFlex was always working fine. The issue was that in my pre-export tasks I was performing an xcopy from the program location to %appdata%\[program name]. That was working fine but I didn't include the following in the config file Import/Export section:

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<AppData>\[program name]

So, when I closed the application %appdata%\[program name] wasn't being saved to the user's UEMProfile area. I included that section above late last evening and just attempted a user login, launch app, close app, logoff and now see the AppData\[program name] contents has been saved.

When the user logs back in I have Post-Import tasks that will copy that data to the program location as I wanted.

This seems to be handy as it's only a group of users who use this particular app who need certain add-ins (exist in an add-in folder) to persist across logon/logoff for them. I'll control who this applies to via conditions (AD security group).

I won't have a chance to test all of this out until next week, but the fact I now see the AppData folder copied to the user's UEMProfile archive is very encouraging.

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi iforbes​,

Can you provide a full FlexEngine debug log containing logon/logoff/application start and the content of the INI file?

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi iforbes,

DirectFlex does not care where the executable is installed – hopefully your log file will help us figure out what exactly is going on.

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi guys. It looks to be working now. So, it seems that DirectFlex was always working fine. The issue was that in my pre-export tasks I was performing an xcopy from the program location to %appdata%\[program name]. That was working fine but I didn't include the following in the config file Import/Export section:

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<AppData>\[program name]

So, when I closed the application %appdata%\[program name] wasn't being saved to the user's UEMProfile area. I included that section above late last evening and just attempted a user login, launch app, close app, logoff and now see the AppData\[program name] contents has been saved.

When the user logs back in I have Post-Import tasks that will copy that data to the program location as I wanted.

This seems to be handy as it's only a group of users who use this particular app who need certain add-ins (exist in an add-in folder) to persist across logon/logoff for them. I'll control who this applies to via conditions (AD security group).

I won't have a chance to test all of this out until next week, but the fact I now see the AppData folder copied to the user's UEMProfile archive is very encouraging.

Thanks

iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Actually, maybe one of you can help me with this? I'm attempting to add a condition of AD group membership in UEM but get access denied error. How do i resolve? It seems if I click the Browse button i get the error, but I can type in the name of the AD group and it takes.

Problem with that though is that the flexengine log file reports the condition check = false (i.e. it didn't think the user was a part of the group). I'm thinking maybe I got the group membership syntax incorrect? I simply typed in the display name of the AD group. Should I type in something else like the DN of the group? Maybe UEM doesn't have access to AD at all to check the condition? I'm not sure.

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Update - While I still get the access denied error when I click on Browse, the correct syntax if you just enter the info is domain\group. After I entered that syntax the condition check passed, and my pre/post tasks worked fine for those users. The UEM docs don't state what the syntax should look like.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi iforbes,

Happy to hear that you were able to resolve your problem, but the "Access Denied" exception you were getting in the Management Console is a bug...

Is the computer you're running the Management Console on joined to the domain, and are you logging on with a domain account? Either way, you should not be getting that exception, but I'm just trying to figure out what's going on...

iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ahhh, that's the issue. I was logged in as local admin.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Well, that's a bug. Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Rereading my reply, I'm not sure whether I was clear: that's a bug that I was not aware of. We'll try to reproduce it and then we can hopefully fix it.

0 Kudos