VMware Horizon Community
VDIMega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Desktop Icon Size in Windows 10

In Windows 7, preserving users' desktop icon size and arrangement was as easy as this:

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

In Windows 10, the same does not work.  In my testing, I'm finding that when users' change the icon size on their desktop by either using the CTRL+wheel or just "right-click desktop --> View --> Large/medium/small Icon Size", the HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop\IconSize REG_DWORD registry key value does not change to reflect this.  The only way I'm finding to get this registry key to update to match the desired configuration is to click on the desktop and hit "F5" on the keyboard.  After that, the registry key value changes to match the newly set size.

If I exit explorer.exe or logoff the computer, the registry key does not update.  It appears to be necessary to "refresh" the desktop get the registry key to update the value for IconSize.  If I don't do this, restarting explorer.exe or loggong off/on does  not save the icon size because the registry key is not updated.

So basically, the change in icon size appears to stay in the memory of explorer.exe unless the desktop is 'refreshed' at whcih point the icon size change happens in the right registry key.

Does anyone know a better way to "trigger" this refresh before the user logs off so that the registry keys update as needed?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The solution is as simple as including this additional registry tree:

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VDIMega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No hits here?

I also noticed that even if I hit F5 on the keyboard when I'm on the desktop and then logoff, upon logon, the iconsize resets to the default size instead of the custom one i set.  When i check the config archive, I see that the custom IconSize value was exported (e.g., decimal 24), but still the registry shows decimal 48.  I check the UEM log and it shows that the archive was imported successfully.  So it looks like something is overwriting that imported setting after/during the logon.

I tested and set the iconsize manually to decimal 24 or 32, and when I taskkill and reopen explorer.exe, the icons come back exactly how I left them.  So I'm sure that the iconsize registry value under HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop is relevant. Maybe there's something else that needs to come with?

Can anyone post the exact config they're using to save the desktop icon sizes?

0 Kudos
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The solution is as simple as including this additional registry tree:

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

0 Kudos
VDIMega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yet again, you come through with the solution!  Thanks man!