VMware Horizon Community
Akrietsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Delay or restart config file import?

We have an issue in our environment where a user's default printer setting can be overwritten. An example would be that a user may map to a network printer in their View session and set that printer as their default. This setting gets saved to our "Printers" config, and that config gets imported/exported at logon/logoff. However, when they log back in to their View session the Horizon client takes over in redirecting the user's local printers, including their local default printer selection, and this overwrites the selection of the network printer in their config file.

My guess is that the Horizon client redirection is coming in after the profile import is already done. I know that there is a registry key that can stop the printers from redirecting or the default printer selection from coming into the View session, but getting those registry values set everythere they need to be would be a difficult task for us.

Is there any way to delay the import of a certain config file, or alternatively to kick off a re-import of a config after the logon process is completed so that the default printer selection could be set back to what the user wants it to be? Or any other solution I am not thinking of?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
barakni
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Akrietsch,

Some thoughts -

You can

- Configure the Registry to limit view client redirection with UEM (VMware KB: Disabling default printer redirection in View Clients)

- Disable thinprint - you don't seem to use it. or the printing locally still in the use case and you just want the default config?

- Try to create a login script (horizon service host scripting) to change the state of the printer.

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware Horizon View Secret Weapon - VMware Blogs  This shows how to fire off VBScripts AND it has delays!    All using VMware scripting Host

Hope that helps

John

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

You can try to disable printer redirection in your View client or disable printing via UEM smart policies. By default, it is not possible to delay the import of a INI file. If you want to do this you need will a script, as suggested above.

printing.JPG

Ray

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos