VMware Horizon Community
guzzom
Contributor
Contributor

DEM privilege elevation remove software

Hello everyone.. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.

We are using DEM to allow normal users to install applications via "path based" and that is working as expected. What we are finding is that these developers need to switch out their tool chain and that requires these users to uninstall the applications they installed from the "path based" user install apps.

When they run "Add Remove Applications", they get the popup of needing to be an admin, I've tried running processmon to see what process might be kicking in, but no luck. I also tried to run the application uninstallstring from the registry ( msiexec.exe /w GUID ) and that fails with: "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it.". I did verify that the Windows Installer service is running, but still no go.

So has anyone been able to allow users to also remove applications?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
guzzom
Contributor
Contributor

So,

VMware has a solution to allow non-admin users to install applications, but not remove it?

I've solved this with scripts that really should not be needed. I can share if anyone wants... they are PowerShell scripts cobbled together from across the internet. So far, I have a remove all Java script and remove NodeJS official installer script.

0 Kudos