VMware Horizon Community
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

DEM not working after desktop restart

We are using VMware Horizon 7.12 and DEM 9.11 with dedicated linked clones. We also have Microsoft FSLogix. We are seeing a strange issue where DEM does not apply any settings after a desktop is restarted. It does not create any logs as well. After a login, if we logoff from the desktop (not a reboot), it start working from the next logon onwards (it also starts creating logs). Again if we reboot, it worn't work just after the reboot until we logoff again.

This is the exact issue mentioned in the comments of the thread Let’s troubleshoot User Environment Manager (#UEM) 9.X: How to avoid errors during the installation ... by TJ Derrick. He resolved it by setting the GPO "System\Logon\Wait for network" but we have installed DEM in NoAD mode, so I don't this this setting will make any difference.

Any thoughts on why this strange behaviour?

DEMdev

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
11 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi popvm,

Any FlexEngine messages in the Application event log?

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

DEMdev Thanks for responding.

The only message I see in the application event log is that ImmidioFlex+ service has started.

Just to correct my previous statement, it looks like DEM is working partially after a user reboot. E.g. I can see desktop shortcuts (including DEM User Environment Refresh) is created. But there are no drives mapped or ADMX settings applied.

If I run flexengine.exe -UEMRefreshDrives, drives appear. Also if I run flexengine.exe or  DEM User Environment Refresh, logs are created (debug logging is enabled for the user). But no logs are created upon user login after a reboot event 😮

The issue is seen if the user reboots or shutdown the machine. Issue is not seen after a user logoff or if the desktop refreshed via Composer and then logged in.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi popvm,

it looks like DEM is working partially after a user reboot. E.g. I can see desktop shortcuts (including DEM User Environment Refresh) is created. But there are no drives mapped or ADMX settings applied.

I don't know much about Horizon, but dedicated linked clones are persistent VMs, right? Maybe those shortcuts are just a remnant from a previous session?

After logging on for the first time after a reboot, what do you see in RegEdit in key HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware UEM\Agent\Configuration?

Does a logoff from such a "first session after reboot" result in any logging to the DEM log file?

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't know much about Horizon, but dedicated linked clones are persistent VMs, right? Maybe those shortcuts are just a remnant from a previous session?

Yes, I think that is a possibility.

Attaching screenshots of Agent Configuration after a fresh logon and a logon after a reboot.

A logoff after a 'session after reboot' does not log anything.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi popvm,

Attaching screenshots of Agent Configuration after a fresh logon and a logon after a reboot.

OK, so the agent configuration seems to be available in both cases.

Could you collect a ProcMon boot log? Launch ProcMon as admin, configure Options | Enable Boot Logging (no need to generate thread profiling events), restart the VM, have the user log back in, launch ProcMon as admin again, and let it save the collected trace in .PML format?

Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi DEMdev​, I got 8 files after this activity (please see the screenshot) with sizes more than 300MB. Zipping all of them gave me a 276MB file. Could you please suggest on how to send these files as we have a limit of 50MB here?

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

DEMdev  I have sent the link as PM. Could you please check if its accessible?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks, popvm, I was able to download from your Google Drive link (thank you for providing that, as the original Sharepoint one seemed to require an email address.)

I was able to open the trace in ProcMon, and from a very superficial glance it looks to contain everything I need to dive into this. That will take some time though, and will most probably have to wait till early next week. I'll keep you posted!

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks DEMdev​, highly appreciate your help. We were planning to role DEM + FSLogix to production, so anything which will help us resolve this will be highly appreciated. We have a few users using this as a pilot project and they are facing this problem.

I tested this on Windows 10 1909 and 2004, floating desktops (non-persistent) and with FSLogix disabled, but the issue still persists.

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

DEMdev​ Happy to let you know that I finally found the root cause. We had a small batch script running during shutdown (which was created during our PoC testing and was supposed to be removed) and that was causing the issue. Upon removing that, everything works fine.

Apologies that we missed this and wasted your time, but I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. Highly appreciated!

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi popvm​,

Happy to hear it's working; thank you for letting us know. I hadn't yet found any smoking guns in the ProcMon trace; now I know why Smiley Happy

0 Kudos