VMware Horizon Community
Frepz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DEM new FTA config & Startup folder - Windows 10 VDI

Hi,

We just upgraded our UEM from 9.6 to DEM 9.10 and I am currently testing the FTA feature that was introduced in version 9.10, it works very well, but we do have one issue:

If we add a HTML file (or something else that has another default file association) to the startup folder (e.g. %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) then it will startup in IE, or whatever is default on the base image instead of what is configured in the FTA profile.

It seems to have something to do with when the FTA is processed by DEM. Because a few seconds after log in I can see that the file association changes from base image defaults to the FTA's the user has defined. (it takes around 3 seconds after login).

I have tried to force the config to be launched as early as possible in the FlexEngine import process, and it does get imported early, but the actual process still happens after the user has logged in. I confirmed this by looking at the default FTA log & the FlexEngine log.

At this point I am not sure how I can make the FTA part happen before the software in the startup folder is processed by the system.

We are running Windows 10 1803 VDIs, where everything associated to the user profile is processed by DEM.

All answers will be of  big help Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Frepz,

DEM's processing of default apps consists of two parts: collecting the settings from the profile archive, and applying those settings. The first part happens during the path-based import. For the second part, we need to wait until File Explorer has started, or it might/will trample all over the settings we just applied.

To launch that second part, we add "C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.exe" ::DefaultApplications to Explorer's RunOnce key, so that we automatically get to run when Explorer is up. Looks like that's too late in your case, and that the startup folder gets processed before that...

As a test, could you try adding a shortcut to your startup folder (with a name "alphabetically before" the name of your problematic shortcut) that runs ...\FlexEngine.exe ::DefaultApplications? Or maybe turn your current shortcut into a script that runs ...\FlexEngine.exe ::DefaultApplications, and subsequently launches the "real" item, just to prevent any further timing issues?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Frepz,

DEM's processing of default apps consists of two parts: collecting the settings from the profile archive, and applying those settings. The first part happens during the path-based import. For the second part, we need to wait until File Explorer has started, or it might/will trample all over the settings we just applied.

To launch that second part, we add "C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.exe" ::DefaultApplications to Explorer's RunOnce key, so that we automatically get to run when Explorer is up. Looks like that's too late in your case, and that the startup folder gets processed before that...

As a test, could you try adding a shortcut to your startup folder (with a name "alphabetically before" the name of your problematic shortcut) that runs ...\FlexEngine.exe ::DefaultApplications? Or maybe turn your current shortcut into a script that runs ...\FlexEngine.exe ::DefaultApplications, and subsequently launches the "real" item, just to prevent any further timing issues?

Frepz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you! That seems to solve my issue Smiley Happy

If I push  a shortcut like this then it works:

pastedImage_6.png

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Happy to hear that, Frepz​, and thank you for letting us know!

0 Kudos