VMware Horizon Community
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

DEM - file type accosiations for non-presistant desktops - Horizon VDI

Hi guys.
Does anyone have experience with file type associations on a non-presistant desktop VDI?
I have tried a few different solutions.
As of today, we push out a default config via DEM - Default Applications.xml, which contains a number of settings for which applications are to be used for the different file types.
The rule that runs this looks like this:

[SpecialSettings]
DefaultApplications

[IncludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\[SKIPLOGGING]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts\[SKIPLOGGING]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\[SKIPLOGGING]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\[SKIPLOGGING]

#[IncludeFiles]
#<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config

[ExcludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\[SKIPLOGGING]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\[SKIPLOGGING]

It is then intended that the user gets a default setup the first time they log in, and then the user's changes will follow the user.
What I see is that when logging in, Windows resets these settings, and I suspect that Windows does this because the app stacks are not necessarily fully mounted. And therefore Windows will see that these applications are missing during logon and then reset the settings.
And these messages popping up for users:
image.png

"An app default was reset.
An app caused a problem with the default app setting for mailto files, so it was reset to Microsoft...
"
the mailto section in the default config looks like this:
<item name="mailto" progId="Outlook.URL.mailto.15"/>

Does anyone have a definitive solution to this that they are willing to share?

Best regards
Lansti
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BenTrojahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think you want to refresh your FTA with a triggered task after the app stacks are attached.  I do not know if that will help with the message. Good luck!

BenTrojahn_0-1660015259575.png

0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello. Thanks for reply.
Running a refresh to get rid of these messages will not work(tested that), the challenge is that all my applications run from various app stacks.
It seems that DEM has not delivered all the settings to the machine, or mounted the appstacks, and when Windows is then loaded, Windows sees that Outlook is missing, and resets the app default - Mail app.
Then DEM will push out all the settings I have set, and then it will be set back to the user's choice, and outlook will then be set to mailto protocol in this case and works fine.
But for users, it becomes confusing when, at each login, they receive notifications that various apps have been reset.
Actually, I just want to disable this windows immersivecontrolpanel message that pops up, or possibly set a delay on Windows' check that the default app actually exists on the machine

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
BenTrojahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah I see.   Attaching to the machine might be a crude workaround.   Might play with focus assist settings to hide the notification ( I have not tried this) 

0 Kudos