VMware Horizon Community
ktebo01
Contributor
Contributor

DEM causing slow login times

In our instant clone environment without the DEM GP applied login time is about 1 minute. When we apply the DEM group policy login time skyrockets to 2.5-3 minutes. When I look at the DEM logs it shows about 20 seconds of processing so what is causing this extra time where windows sits at preparing windows during login?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vDruid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,
Could be several things (can you post the DEM logs please ?)
Does the user sees DEM starting blue screen message at login and is that hanging there for this additional time ?
I would verify first that the user as the rights to access the filers and that performs well.

// if you think this helps, please mark as helpful or correct , thx ! \\
vDruid
0 Kudos
ktebo01
Contributor
Contributor

The user does not see DEM starting blue screen at login, the only thing that they see that takes a while is preparing windows and it spinning. This is for all users not just one specific user. Attached are the login logs for DEM.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @ktebo01,

In the log that you shared, DEM only takes about 9 seconds at logon:

2023-04-20 08:35:50.112 [INFO ] Done (8664 ms) [<<IFP#4153b353-T5]

Does your DEM GPO maybe also contain some non-DEM-related settings that affect the overall logon duration?

(NOTE: It's unrelated to your slow logons, but DEM 9.11 is very old – it reached end of general support more than a year ago. I'd strongly suggest to plan an update to a current version.)

vDruid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As said DemDev, DEM agent is not the cause there, start time is fine.
According to your logs, you are redirecting AppData and that can be very difficult to handle with folder redirection. I would look in that direction first and recommend to think of using FSlogix if you require to do so.

There is a great KB article that is concerning your behavior: You should find several things to investigate in it:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/82613

Hope this helps !

// if you think this helps, please mark as helpful or correct , thx ! \\
vDruid
Tags (1)
almostIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had this happen to me recently, turned out to be a drive mapping situation. 

Anytime you reference an object, like a script, on a remote drive that might not exist, always include a timeout period. 

In fact, any setting that allows a timeout period, use that timeout period. Otherwise, login times will take forever as it tries to complete a task. 

It might not be what you have going on now, but just thought I'd throw that in there. 

0 Kudos
TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, 

Working with a new install of Horizon 8.0 for a Windows 11 desktop + running OSOT.

login is fast, but maybe 15-20 econds to see icons on taskbar, taskbar is pretty slow and exprorer featurest are delayed. 

i have this issue with W10 and 11 and horizon 8 and 7. so i thing that is something wrong with VMware OSOT. 

any advices ? 

Tomas

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @TomKalabis,

How much time is DEM taking at logon, according to its log file?

0 Kudos