VMware Horizon Community
vmit11
Contributor
Contributor

DEM and Integrated Printing User Permissions

I would like to have integrated printing disabled for all users by default and then have a smart policy that enables it for certain users.

The only way I have got it to work is to add a smart policy to disable certain users, however, I don't want to have to add every user to the disabled policy. I want to just have a policy that enables it and add users to that policy.

Any recommendations for this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @vmit11,

Config files are processed in alphabetical order, and Horizon Smart Policies configuration settings in "later" files will override those from "earlier" ones.

You can configure default settings (like disabling printer redirection) in settings file '000 Default settings', say, applied to all users (i.e. without conditions), and then have another 'Allow printing' config file that uses conditions to target the users that should be able to print.

0 Kudos
vmit11
Contributor
Contributor

I tried this method and have found that even setting a policy that is set to printing disabled with no conditions, only the first person logged in gets disabled all users after still get enabled.

UEM version 2106
Vmware horizon client with integrated printing version 7.13

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @vmit11,

What does the DEM log file show for the first user and for the ones logging in later?

0 Kudos
vmit11
Contributor
Contributor

After further testing, I found the real issue is that on first login the policy is not being applied so printing is enabled until you disconnect and reconnect the session then printing gets disabled.

How can can I fix this so that it is also disabled during logon?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @vmit11,

When you say that "on first login the policy is not being applied", do you mean that DEM does not process the policy settings, or that printer redirection does not pick up the policy settings?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
vmit11
Contributor
Contributor

DEM log shows that the policy is applied during logon but printer redirection is enabled until the user disconnects from the session then reconnects.

For example, if I login to an instant clone I am able to print but if I disconnect from the session then reconnect, the rule that disables printing starts working and I can no longer print.

0 Kudos