VMware Horizon Community
onfire247
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DEM (UEM) Folder Redirection to Mimic Persistent Disks with App Volumes

In our previous environment, we were using Windows 7 linked clones with persistent disks. Over 10 years, our faculty and staff have come to expect that certain Windows folders (Desktop, Documents, etc.) persist from login to login. In our new environment, however, we are using a DEM managed instant clone environment with App Volumes. To mimic the persistence of the above folders, I had the idea of using folder redirection in DEM to push those folders to the C:\SnapVolumesTemp\Writable folder (see configuration below).

snapvolumestemp.PNG

I have used this similar setup in a lab pool that requires some persistence, and it seems to work well enough. However, I am about to roll this setup out to 120 faculty and staff members. I am hoping to avoid any unintended consequences.

Do you guys seen any danger in choosing this setup for mimicking persistence? Is there a better/preferred way to do this instead?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
VaseemMohammed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First of all, if I may ask, why not move away of persistent disks and use folder redirection? if there is existing data then I believe that can be copied over at logon using robocopy on to the new share path where redaction will happen.

logically, I don't see any issue with the method, if you have tested it, I guess should work.

I know, its not the perfect answer, but just though to put my opinion.

[Hate to see post un-answered or commented, specially Horizon community is quite dead here]

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @onfire247,

DEM (or Windows itself, given that DEM only provides configuration for the Windows feature) doesn't care at all where you redirect your folders to (in my own developer tests, I frequently redirect folders to some local path), so this should work just fine.

0 Kudos