VMware Horizon Community
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DEM, Teams and O365 Outlook profile

So we are running a VMware 7.8 environment, DEM 9.11 and AppVolumes 2.18.6 with Instant Clones, O365 and Teams installed on the golden image.  I finally was able to get DEM setup properly (thanks to DEMdev​) to save the Outlook profile when the user logs out so they don't need to go through the setup of their Email account each time they login to a desktop and open Outlook.

NOW I have an additional problem:

Teams is no longer available on the desktop when the user logs in.  Prior to getting the Outlook profile working through DEM, Teams would launch automatically and place an icon on the desktop.  Now that is not happening. AND I cannot find Teams in the program list however it is still listed under Programs and Features.

pastedImage_0.png

I am guessing it is something in DEM that needs to be set/changed but do not know what.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!

sjesse

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Thank you Smiley Happy

How did you install Team , it says machine wide installer  but did you do the install like below?

Teams for Virtualized Desktop Infrastructure - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

msiexec /i <path_to_msi> /l*v <install_logfile_name> ALLUSER=1 ALLUSERS=1

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, that is the exact command I used.

Since Teams was working properly BEFORE I got the Outlook profile to save via DEM that would tell me that there is something in Outlook that is "referencing" (for lack of better term) Teams.  Is there a Teams Add-in or something in Outlook?  I looked at the Add-ins in Outlook but there is nothing there.

It just seems strange that the Outlook profile config saving in DEM has now caused Teams to stop working....

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, Teams has Outlook integration via add-ins.

Disable all Teams addins in Outlook

1. In Outlook, click Options.
  2. In the Outlook Options window, click Addins.
  3. At the bottom, click Go… (next to Manage: COM Add-ins).
  4. Untick Microsoft Teams Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Office and Teamviewer Meeting Add-in.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Restart Outlook.

Automate disabling Microsoft Teams Meeting Add-in in Outlook

The load behavior of the Microsoft Teams Meeting Add-In is controlled in the Registry. To set this add-in to Disabled, do the following:

1. In your Registry Editor, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\TeamsAddin.FastConnect
  2. Double-click LoadBehavior, set the value data to 2, and click OK. This disables the load at startup.
    If you want to enable load at startup, change it to 3

This can be added via DEM since it's a HKCU entry.

RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is the recommended solution to add the registry key?

1) Add it to the registry on the golden image

2) Add it to UEM?  If this option is preferred, what config file does it get added to in UEM? Outlook?

UPDATE1: So I looked on my golden image for this key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\TeamsAddin.FastConnect but do not see it.  Here is what my registry looks like:

I did not have an Outlook folder under Office (as you can see from the above. 16.0 is the O365 version and that is what I have.

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

I am just trying to understand the relation between the fix for the Outlook profile and the issue around Teams.

Did you try to rule out the change/fix that was made around the Outlook profile? For instance, can you exclude a single user, with a clean profile (no profile archives) from applying this fix (or Outlook profile) and see if the issue around Teams is still there for that user?

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is where I am confused as well... 🙂

>> Did you try to rule out the change/fix that was made around the Outlook profile? For instance, can you exclude a single user, with a clean profile (no profile archives) from applying this fix (or Outlook profile) and see if the issue around Teams is still there for that user?

GOOD question....so I logged into my windows 10 desktop as another user that does NOT have Outlook configured (so when I open Outlook it asks me to set it up). Teams did NOT automatically start for that user either.

Is there a registry key or GPO that disables the AutoStart possibly?

0 Kudos
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is there a registry key or GPO that disables the AutoStart possibly?

It could be this one, User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Teams > Prevent Microsoft Teams from starting automatically after installation

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi RachelW​,

Sorry for de delayed response, but normally Teams auto runs after logon using the following registry key/value.

pastedImage_0.png

Like mrkasius​ mentioned, there is a GPO setting that may prevent Teams from automatically starting. The question is, is this in place in your environment? And for what reason? If this GPO setting is not required you can disable it.

What I normally do is remove those items that do not need to auto start for everyone and let those items start for only those users that need it using DEM. This can be done using a Logon Task or a shortcut in the Startup folder.

For a full inventory of items that auto start for a user you can use the Autoruns utility from SysInternals --> http://live.sysinternals.com/Autoruns64.exe (x64)

I hope this brings you a little bit further...

\\ Ivan
---
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

mrkasius

I confirmed this GPO is not configured: User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Teams > Prevent Microsoft Teams from starting automatically after installation.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HIijdemes​,

Thank you for the response.

I do not have the key in the registry of my Golden image you specified in my registry.  I have the one shown below.

>> What I normally do is remove those items that do not need to auto start for everyone and let those items start for only those users that need it using DEM. This can be done using a Logon Task or a shortcut in the Startup folder. Not exactly sure how to do either of those....do you setup a Logon Task or shortcut and have a condition set for certain people or something?

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi RachelW​,

Unfortunately the picture didn't seem to come through with you last post.

But regarding the Logon Task or Shortcut. What you can do is create a Logon Task with the command to execute Teams (use asynchronous). You can use conditions to have this executed for (for instance) a sub set of users.

pastedImage_0.png

The other option is to place a shortcut in the Startup folder. This way the shortcut is executed after logon. You can use conditions to have this executed for (for instance) a sub set of users.

pastedImage_2.png

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@ijdemes ,

This is GREAT!  I setup the shortcut and once I got the right path for Teams.exe it did indeed launch!  I added a condition which doesn't seem to be working so that is my next task!  I added a condition that the user is a member of a specific group and the user I logged in with is NOT in that group but Teams still launched. 🤔

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @RachelW,

Can you post a log file fragment (at log level DEBUG) of DEM processing that shortcut you created?

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to get Teams to NOT launch when I used the condition of environment variable with username = to the one I was logging in with.  I decided to remove that and add the group back as shown in the screen shot in the previous post and Teams did not launch this time either so we might be ok..???

I am looking at my log to see what part of it I should send....all of it?  It has several entries for login/logout...?

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi @RachelW ,

That's strange and unexpected.

I would just send the complete FlexEngine.log and mention the date/time the particular user logged on.

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @ijdemes ,

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi @RachelW ,

Log is looking good when you expect the following:

If a user is not member of group "MH\Network Analysts" do NOT create the Teams shortcut.

If Teams is still launched for this user, it may be launched from a different place. This is where SysInternals Autoruns may help to determine the location.

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos