VMware Horizon Community
JackBack42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DEM Not Applying Default Apps

Hello there,

We have a new win 10 1909 environment we're trying to roll out and we're having extreme issues with DEM not applying/saving default apps and FTAs correctly and we cannot figure out why.

I have the Default Apps and FTAs flex engine enabled with a predefined forced setting to set Internet Explorer as default browser and to set adobe reader to open PDFs.

It seems to save and apply the adobe reader FTA, and it actually seems to map .http and .https files to Internet Explorer, but it only makes IE the default browser about 40-50% of the time, so when we click on a link inside of outlook it opens up in edge.

I worked with support and they had me drop the .xml file in the file type association page on DEM as well and like I said that part seems to be applying correctly just not for the default application part.

I'll attach several pictures and a log of my latest login to see if that will help any.

I do appreciate it!

Edit: I apologize, I forgot to list that we are using DEM version 9.11 as well.

36 Replies
JackBack42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I used OSOT for the default local profile, I will confirm the settings being applied.

I will try testing a user without dem.

We are using app volumes, I did just test and my shell load time dropped considerably once I removed my single appstack (all we have on the appstack is microsoft office) as well as dropping the writable, I have worked with the VMWare support to optimize those as much as possible so Im not sure what else I can do from that standpoint sadly.

As far as AV we are not running a local AV as of right now, we're looking at Carbon Black but not currently implemented.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi JackBack42,

2020-07-07T13:09:49.396 INFO (0fac-1538) [LogonMonitor::LogSummary] User Policy Apply Time: 52 seconds

2020-07-07T16:21:34.081 INFO (1070-0360) [LogonMonitor::LogSummary] User Policy Apply Time: 67 seconds

2020-07-01T17:12:33.740 INFO (1078-046c) [LogonMonitor::LogSummary] User Policy Apply Time: 20 seconds

2020-07-07T08:42:07.575 INFO (10f8-010c) [LogonMonitor::LogSummary] User Policy Apply Time: 97 seconds

Do you see similar differences in how long DEM's run at logon takes?

Are there any "gaps" between subsequent log lines in the DEM logs?

JackBack42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DEMdev

I am seeing similar differences in how long DEM runs at logon,

I'm also seeing a direct correlation between the shell load time and user policy time as well, this weekend I moved the DEM profiles off the main file server and onto the DEM server with SSDs and that at first seemed to make a huge difference, all weekend I was logging in around 60-70 seconds with dem taking aound 20 seconds and shell around 30. but now this morning I am back to 130 second+ logins.  I am seeing a couple lines that seem to take about 10 seconds each.

T08:06:13.900 INFO (1044-1748) [LogonMonitor::LogSummary] User Policy Apply Time: 46 seconds

2020-07-13 08:04:31.355 [DEBUG] ImportRegistry::Import: Calling '"C:\Windows\REGEDIT.EXE" /S "C:\Users\CMHJBO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\FLXA854.tmp"' (RPAL: l=0 (F/E), r=0)

2020-07-13 08:04:41.035 [DEBUG] Read 138 entries from profile archive (size: 377926; compressed: 87697; took 9712 ms; largest file: 94530 bytes; slowest import took 33 ms; registry took 454 ms)

2020-07-13 08:04:17.986 [DEBUG] ImportRegistry::Import: Calling '"C:\Windows\REGEDIT.EXE" /S "C:\Users\CMHJBO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\FLX73FF.tmp"' (RPAL: l=0 (F/E), r=0)

2020-07-13 08:04:28.792 [DEBUG] Read 33 entries from profile archive (size: 3574236; compressed: 397658; took 10827 ms; largest file: 344303 bytes; slowest import took 29 ms;

I was thinking maybe I/O on the file server was the culprit but the DEM server this morning is only being accessed by max 5 workstations so I wouldn't think it would be that

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi JackBack42,

2020-07-13 08:04:31.355 [DEBUG] ImportRegistry::Import: Calling '"C:\Windows\REGEDIT.EXE" /S "C:\Users\CMHJBO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\FLXA854.tmp"' (RPAL: l=0 (F/E), r=0)

2020-07-13 08:04:41.035 [DEBUG] Read 138 entries from profile archive (size: 377926; compressed: 87697; took 9712 ms; largest file: 94530 bytes; slowest import took 33 ms; registry took 454 ms)

This log fragment seems to indicate some noticeable overhead for file system operations like creating and moving files (on the VM itself). App Volumes accounts for some of that, but is there maybe also anti-malware software in play that might be interfering here?

JackBack42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gotcha, We are actually not running any anti-malware on the test systems at the moment sadly.

So you're saying at that point the lagging is because of the files being created and moved around on the VM and not from pulling the config files from the DEM share itself?

Also for what it's worth the I/O on our SAN is not anywhere near max during this time, that's why I thought maybe it was the older file server, but at this point the only thing coming from the that is the redirection of the userprofile, it's no longer actually pulling files like it originally was.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi JackBack42,

So you're saying at that point the lagging is because of the files being created and moved around on the VM and not from pulling the config files from the DEM share itself?

I can't say that with a 100% certainty, but, most probably, yes. If you "manually" unzip profile archives from the share to the VM, do you see similar performance? It won't be identical, as we extract each profile archive item to a temporary file first, and only if that's successful move it to its real destination, but maybe worth a try.

Also: any chance of performing some tests without App Volumes, to determine its impact?

ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Like DEMdev​ mentioned, please also do a check without App Volumes to see the impact. Moreover, you can also check with an empty AppStack to see the impact of the AppStack content (like services, printers, applications, etc.). Also double-check the AppVolumes log file (C:\Program Files (x86)\CloudVolumes\Agent\Logs\svservice.log) for specific (long) time gaps.

Also check the status of the optimized local profile. In other words, check if the optimization settings are really applied in the profile once you're logged on. The reason I mention this is because I've seen cases where the default local profile wasn't optimized (correctly) due to ntuser.dat mapping issues. This resulted in a non-optimized default local profile. When a user logged on with this non-optimized local profile I saw long shell load times which resulted in a switch from "Preparing Windows" to a black screen (for a pretty long period of time) to eventually the Windows desktop.

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
JackBack42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Everyone,

So sorry to absent for so long, we have had a crazy month at the workplace,

Just to give a recap, I did check OSOT to ensure all optimizations were being processed and applied when logged in, BUT we did add some more server resources to our VDI environment and that seemed to take the inconsistency of login times away completely, it now takes about 1:45-2:10 depending on the DEM profile to get logged in ( my boss in on me about getting it shorter but from all the forums I've read, 1:30 seems to be what to shoot for) but for now we are going to proceed with rolling out the project.

Thank you all so much for all of the help you guys put in, I actually learned A TON throughout the entire process.

ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi JackBack42​,

Did you also check without App Volumes and/or with an empty AppStack? And did you check the App Volumes log file?

How many AppStacks are mounted for a user on average?

\\ Ivan
---
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello ijdemes​,

I am having this same issue with default applications not saving on my Windows 10 1909 desktop.  We are running UEM 9.11.

I have completed steps 1-3 below but nothing is saving.  I am not sure how to complete steps 4-6 below.  If you could provide some direction, that would be great.

1. Log on with a user
  2. Configure the default apps in Settings/Control Panel
  3. Logoff the user (to save the default apps/fta's in the ZIP file)
  4. Use the ZIP file as a predefined setting (default (runned once) or forced, depending on your requirements)
  5. Configure FTA's in User Environment
  6. Have the Default Apps & FTA's config file present (based on 9.11 built-in template that contains the magic for saving/restoring default apps and fta's)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi RachelW​,

Can you provide a FlexEngine log in debug mode for both logon and logoff and also provide the default apps config file?

Did you configure RunOnceSpecial in the config for the default apps, in case of non-persistent desktops? --> https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146336

Otherwise, the default apps will always be overwritten by the default (ZIP) you provided.

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ijdemes​,

Thank you for the response.

Attached is the request log file.

I am sure the problem is the config of the default apps because there is not much there. Below is the config file.

# This Flex config file keeps the default FTA at the top of the list of defaults.

# This prevents reverting to the Windows FTA defaults and from Universal apps taking over FTAs.

# Users will still be prompted to confirm which app should be the default.

# This configuration only applies to Windows 10, using conditions. When using Windows 8,

# Server 2012 R2 or 2016, please add the relevant conditions.

[IncludeRegistryTrees] 

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts 

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations

And no, I did not configure RunOnceSpecial in the config for the default apps.

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Can you expand the settings for your Default Applications config file and show the content here?

pastedImage_0.png

It should look something similar to this:

# This Flex config file references the built-in "Default applications - File type associations and protocols"

# Windows Common Setting.

# File type associations and protocols will be imported at logon and exported at logoff.

#

# Expanded settings for Windows Common Setting 'Default applications':

#

[DefaultApplications]

Process

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\[SKIPLOGGING]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts\[SKIPLOGGING]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\[SKIPLOGGING]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\[SKIPLOGGING]

[ExcludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\[SKIPLOGGING]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\[SKIPLOGGING]

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I already did expand the Default apps - I no longer have that option in the upper right corner.  🙂

Those were the only two lines that showed up after expanding it.

My config for that is named Default Apps and FTAs, not just Default Applications.

UPDATE1: so I created a new config file for Default Applications, expanded that and now have this.

#

# Expanded settings for Windows Common Setting 'Default applications':

#

[DefaultApplications]

Process

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\[SKIPLOGGING]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts\[SKIPLOGGING]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\[SKIPLOGGING]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\[SKIPLOGGING]

[ExcludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\[SKIPLOGGING]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\[SKIPLOGGING]

UPDATE2:

So, after having the above in place in the config file, I logged into my windows 10 desktop and set my default browser, Adobe program and email.  When I logged out and back in the default program remained the same!! Woohoo!

BUT I do not want the users to have to set that manually when they login.  The defaults are already set on my golden image so now what?  How do I get the default programs to be set on the desktop when the user logs in?

ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi RachelW​,

Good to hear that the first issue is now solved.

Just wanted to let you know that I am writing down the required steps for configuring predefined default applications in a blog post, which I expect to release at least tomorrow. I will give you an update once it's released.

Until than, please bear with me...

\\ Ivan
---
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi RachelW​,

I have created a step-by-step blog post --> https://www.ivandemes.com/configuring-default-applications-using-dem-predefined-settings/

I hope this helps you configuring default applications.

If you (still) have any questions, please let me know in this forum.

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @ijdemes,

This is a GREAT! Perfectly put together and laid out.  So easy to follow.  I am trying it now to see how it actually works.

0 Kudos