VMware Horizon Community
brimar5485
Contributor
Contributor

DEM - Migration pools Windows 7 to Windows 10 1909

Hello

We currently have Instant Clone pools Windows 7 which are behind Horizon 7.10 with DEM version 9.9.
We need to migrate to Windows 10 1909, if I add new Windows 10 pools will the migration and/or conversion of DEM profiles be done automatically?

I've searched my way I can't find much information on this subject

Do I have to create new GPO DEM for Windows 10 and point the DEM profiles under a different directory and start a new profile structure just for Windows 10 ?

Do I need to create new rules in DEM specifically for Windows 10 by applying filters?

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @brimar5485,

There aren't really any migration and/or conversation steps required. Application settings will typically work just fine on a different OS; Windows settings not so much, so you might want to add OS conditions on the corresponding personalization config files (or mark them as OS-specific.)

Note that I just work on the DEM product, and don't have any real experience in deploying it, so hopefully some other forum members will respond here as well 🙂

raaaphiiBIT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi brimar5485

If the same GPOs are pushed to the Windows 10 VMs nothing has to be done, it will pick up the same profile and config folder of DEM as in Windows 7.

I agree with DEMdev that a migration of usual application like Acrobat reader, Google Chrome etc. is not necessary since the locations of userdata haven't changed from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Though regarding to Windows Settings this is a different Story in my opinion. There I would set the "Settings are OS-specific" so as a new profil will be generated for Windows10. 

Screenshot 2020-12-10 134029.png

pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agree with the two previous comments:

Applications(as long as they are W10 compatible) configs, you shouldn't have to do anything.

The OS stuff, start with the default W10 templates(start menu, FTA, etc.) VMware provides with DEM and set them to OS specific.

Test. Test. Test.