VMware Horizon Community
Cymore
Contributor
Contributor

DEM Logoff Tasks failing to run due to timeout

I have two files that are on a local server share. One is a file that is a .bat file and another is an directory path to an application with an argument at the end. 

Examples of the logoff tasks that I am trying to run.

Logoff task 1

Command: \\server\folder\BGundo.bat

Logoff task 2

Command: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\SelfServicePlugin\Selfservice.exe -logoff

When looking at the log files for flexengine I see

[FATAL] FlexUtils::ExecuteCommand: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\SelfServicePlugin\Selfservice.exe -logoff' timed out.

The files do exist in the locations listed above so I am unsure why they would be timing out. I do have the option for Timeout set to 30 seconds but I believe that it is not even reaching that 30 second limit. I do have the FlexEngine.exe -s logoff command set in group policies. 

I have been using DEM for about a month now and still trying to learn the system and I could have missed something. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Cymore,

If DEM logs a "[FATAL] FlexUtils::ExecuteCommand: '...' timed out" message, that means that it was able to launch the task; otherwise, you'd see a different error message.

The "timed out" bit means just that: the command you launched did not exit within the timeout you configured. This could happen if the command requires user interaction, for instance. If it pops up a dialog, the user won't be able to see that.

0 Kudos
Cymore
Contributor
Contributor

@DEMdev 

Thanks for the quick response. With the commands listed above, I can run them from a command prompt inside the vdi and they run properly. Is there maybe something else I can check or test?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Cymore,

I don't know that Citrix command at all, but I can imagine that something that logs off the current user might not behave the same during the session as it would when run during logoff.

What happens if you run these commands from a standard Windows logoff script?

0 Kudos
Cymore
Contributor
Contributor

I have tested this command in cmd window in both in the vdi and on my workstation desktop that is not virtual. Currently it seems that in the VDI the command does not work as intended. When I run the command on my workstation it does work. 

One thing to note is that when the script is set up in the vdi to run as a group policy for users configuration\windows settings\scripts\logoff it tends to hang when signing out of the VDI and have to use the power option to shutdown the VM. I have not see any error messages while trying to dig through the Event Viewer for windows. This also happens while on desktop after a logoff script is configured with local group policy. 

Maybe I have to reevaluate how and what I am trying to do. 

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Cymore,

If it hangs when run from a logoff script, that would explain why DEM's timeout kicks in when you launch it as a DEM logoff task.

0 Kudos