VMware Horizon Community
Maho-Shojo
Contributor
Contributor

DEM 2203, printer redirection

Why does printer redirection need to log in to the VDI environment twice to take effect?

When I log in to my desktop with VMware horizon client for the first time, the printer of the physical machine cannot be redirected to the VDI environment. However, when I close the VMware horizon client and connect to the VDI environment again (not log off), the printer of the physical machine can be redirected to the VDI environment correctly.

In this way, every time a customer uses the VDI environment, they need to log in twice before they can normally use the printer on the physical machine. Obviously, this operation method is not very friendly. I am troubled by this problem now. Please help me.

😟

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

This could be a race condition or a timing issue while the session id is being generated before the printer gets mapped at logon. 

You could try the following key: 

HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\USB
WaitForSessionIdTimeout (REG_DWORD) with a value decimal value of 200

Please create the key "USB" if does not exist. 

0 Kudos
Maho-Shojo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, according to the method you provided, I tried again, but I still couldn't. The printer on my physical computer is a network printer connected through the network, not a printer directly connected through USB. Is there any other way to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for clarifying. If its network printer and mapped through DEM via Async method, then please perform below procedure: 

1. Start the DEM - Management Console and select the User Environment tab.
  2. Select Shortcuts and click Create to create a new shortcut.
  3. Complete the following shortcut information.
    • Name: User Environment Refresh at Startup
    • Target: C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.exe
    • Arguments: -uemrefresh -uemrefreshwait
    • Destination: select Programs folder and enter Startup
    • Do NOT select Run asynchronously
    • Click Save to create the shortcut.
  4. Then log off and login to VDI desktop and see if the printer maps as expected

0 Kudos