VMware Horizon Community
nzorn
Expert
Expert

DEM 2111 makes everything large but DEM 2103 works fine

Configuration:
-Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 x64 (with Feb 2022 updates installed)
-VMware-Horizon-Agent-x86_64-7.13.1-19067315.exe
-VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Enterprise 2103 10.2 x64.msi
-VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Enterprise 2111 10.4 x64.msi
-Using Composer but not Instant Clones yet
-Blast protocol
-VMware Horizon Client 2111

VMware DEM Enterprise 10.2.0.976:
-Works fine, every time

VMware DEM Enterprise 10.4.0.1013:
-Using a laptop display without any external monitors causes everything to be enlarged inside of a Horizon View Virtual Desktop
-Unable to replicate using external monitors
-Fresh/clean profiles seem to be fine

Pool Setup:
-1 pool with DEM 2103 installed
-1 pool with DEM 2111 installed

Test Scenario 1:
-Logged in/out of DEM 2103 pool a few times from a laptop with no external monitors, no issues
-Inside of the virtual desktop the resolution is greyed out showing 1920x1080, laptop resolution is set at 1920x1080.

Test Scenario 2:
-Using the same laptop and user account profile from test 1. Logged into DEM 2111 pool from a laptop with no external monitors and everything is large.
-Inside of the virtual desktop the resolution is greyed out showing 1280x720, laptop resolution is set at 1920x1080.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
nzorn
Expert
Expert

VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Enterprise 2106 10.3 x64.msi also seems to be working fine.

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Same problem with Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2.  A disconnect and reconnect of the View client seems to fix the resolution issues.

0 Kudos
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also wondering if Change the size of text, apps, and other items under Scale and layout are greyed out like in the picture I just attached?

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

That's correct, those are greyed out as well.  I'll note that they are greyed out in both pools, so that shouldn't the issue.

0 Kudos
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am dealing with a situation where the zoom is not greyed out coming from Horizon 7.10 and 7.13 and all of a sudden with new 2111 with latest agents, everything is greyed out. I have a support ticket right now and they have no idea why that option is greyed out after using the same exact gold image.

The problem that I face now is depending on the monitor resolution, the icon maybe too large. Some of our users rely on just changing the zoom percentage to get the right zoom for their screen. Attached a picture of how the option used to be.

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Have you tried a disconnect and reconnect of the Horizon View client to see if that fixes anything?  That seems to be a quick workaround for my tests.

Also check your VMware SVGA driver version: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2078739

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

Beginning with Horizon Agent 2012, the client's per-monitor DPI setting is synchronized to the agent and changes take effect immediately during a remote session by default. This feature is controlled by the DPI Synchronization Per Monitor agent group policy setting. The DPI Synchronization Per Monitor feature is supported by default for virtual desktops and physical desktops. It is not supported for published desktops. With earlier Horizon Agent versions, Horizon Client supports synchronization only to the system DPI setting. DPI Synchronization happens during the initial connection, and Display Scaling works in case of reconnection, if necessary.

You may consider turning off this feature and reverting the behavior back to original settings as in 7x. 

Inside AGENT VDI Desktop:

REG_PATH:HKLM\Software\Policies\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Agent\Configuration

REGKEY: DpiSync

REGVALUE: 0

Reconnect to VDI

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

But what if we are still using the 7.13.1-19067315 agent?

Plus that doesn't explain why changing DEM versions causes this issue.

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you are using the DPI config file on DEM, it exports and imports the following contents: 

[IncludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\PerMonitorSettings

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\FocusBorderHeight
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\FocusBorderWidth
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\LogPixels
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\UseDpiScaling

So the last logon's DPI setting will be exported to the user through HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\LogPixels and applied on to next sessions. 

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Ok, but why would changing DEM versions change the way the DPI config works?

0 Kudos
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would that cause the issue that I’m seeing with 2103 and 2111 where zoom option is greyed under display setting?

0 Kudos