VMware Horizon Community
Alsterbrink73
Contributor
Contributor

Computer Environment Startup Tasks?

Hi

Can anyone here explain what I can use UEM 2103 Computer environment startup tasks for?

When trying to create a HKLM key using startup tasks it cannot create anything.

So what is the correct usage for startup tasks on computer environment, what can I actually do?

Brgrds

Mikael

Labels (1)
  • i!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Alsterbrink73,

Creating HKLM registry values is one of the common use cases for DEM's startup tasks, so let's see why that's not working for you.

Can you share the details of how you configured your task, and the computer environment log file for that particular startup?

Alsterbrink73
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

The Computer startup tasks used is:

REG ADD “HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware UEM\InstallData” /v test /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Also tried:

C:\Windows\]system32\cmd.exe /c REG ADD “HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware UEM\InstallData” /v test /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Added the computer environment under additional features, verified domain computers have read access to share and read and execute to config.

Installed the UEM agent using the below command:

msiexec /i "VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Enterprise 2103 10.2 x64.msi" COMPENVCONFIGFILEPATH=\\Filesrv\DemConfig$\General

Also added logon and logoff task locally in golden image C:\program files \Immidio\Flex Profiles\Flexengine. Parameters Logon  -StartupTasks and logoff -ShutdownTasks

Also added Disable the Run startup scripts asynchronously policy setting locally.

Also tried several HKLM keys but no luck yet.

You're Input is much appreciated.

Brgrds

Mikael

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Alsterbrink73,

Let me guess, you're using the guide from https://www.vjal.nl/dynamic-environment-manager/using-the-new-elevated-task-feature-in-dem-to-manage...

The quotes around that registry key argument are smart (curly) quotes, which REG won't accept... If you change them to normal ones, I'm pretty confident that it'll work.

Alsterbrink73
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I looked at that blog, and tested the command locally in CMD before adding it.

Tested to redo the brackets also and also tested to other keys, still no luck.

Any log I can look at, or do I need to reinstall with Logpath to get that information that  you know of?

Brgrds

Mikael

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Alsterbrink73,

The annoying thing is that if you paste smart quotes into the command prompt, they're converted into normal ones, which makes things work...

For logging, you do not need to reinstall; just configure LogFileName and LogLevel as per the docs.

0 Kudos