VMware Horizon Community
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Command to execute an uem config file

Is there a way to trigger the execution of a config file created under Personalization?

For example I want to execute the Network printers config not only on logon or logoff, but also at disconnect/reconnect (via custom command). Is there a command available to do this?

Message was edited by: jahos_

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

Ok, now I understand the usecase. Pretty specific, but I like that you use UEM as a framework to just perform the specific actions that you want.

You can do what you want. Have a look at 'Appendix A - FlexEngine command line arguments' in the UEM 9.0 documentation:

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/uem-90-admin-guide.pdf

An example is here for an import:

"C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.exe" -i "\\fileserver\UEMConfig\general\Applications\Notepad.ini" -r "\\fileserver\UEMProfiles\%username%\archives\Applications\Notepad.zip"

And for export it would be:

"C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.exe" -i "\\fileserver\UEMConfig\general\Applications\Notepad.ini" -s "\\fileserver\UEMProfiles\%username%\archives\Applications\Notepad.zip" -b "\\fileserver\UEMProfiles\%username%\backups\Applications\Notepad.zip"

Or, if ThinPrint local printer redirection is not needed, you could also disable ThinPrint: User Environment Management and ThinPrint conflicts when managing printers (2145750) | VMware KB

Let me know if this works for you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ArnoM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Go to the User Environment Tab, select Triggered Tasks. Create Triggered Task.

You can choose the Triggers and Actions from there.

For example:

Trigger: Reconnect session

Action: Run custom command

Blog: https://arnomeijroos.com/ Twitter: @ACMeijroos
0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes I know this.

Let me rephrase what I want, because I was not really clear.

I was wondering if it is possible to manually execute an uem config file (created under the Personalization tab), so I can run it as a custom command in a trigger action.

something like: <path to Flexengine.exe> -uem_config_file

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

Yes, this is possible, but could you explain why you want to do this? I don't see the usecase.

I'm always interested in how the product is used, because we can always improve Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The use case is this:

On the corporate network users have network printers assigned, based on AD group membership. The user sets his default printer once. At logoff, the default printer is personalized (reg keys exported, only when it is a network printer) with uem.

When connecting from an external network, client printers are autocreated and the default printer is set through TPAutoConnect (overrides the network default printer). At logoff, this default printer is NOT personalized.

But, when the user disconnects his external session and reconnects from the internal network, the default printer reg keys should be imported.

Also when the user disconnects his internal session, the default printer reg keys should be exported.

I can achieve this with a script that is executed at disconnect/reconnect, but it would be nice if I can just execute the config file which contains default printer reg keys.

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

Ok, now I understand the usecase. Pretty specific, but I like that you use UEM as a framework to just perform the specific actions that you want.

You can do what you want. Have a look at 'Appendix A - FlexEngine command line arguments' in the UEM 9.0 documentation:

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/uem-90-admin-guide.pdf

An example is here for an import:

"C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.exe" -i "\\fileserver\UEMConfig\general\Applications\Notepad.ini" -r "\\fileserver\UEMProfiles\%username%\archives\Applications\Notepad.zip"

And for export it would be:

"C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.exe" -i "\\fileserver\UEMConfig\general\Applications\Notepad.ini" -s "\\fileserver\UEMProfiles\%username%\archives\Applications\Notepad.zip" -b "\\fileserver\UEMProfiles\%username%\backups\Applications\Notepad.zip"

Or, if ThinPrint local printer redirection is not needed, you could also disable ThinPrint: User Environment Management and ThinPrint conflicts when managing printers (2145750) | VMware KB

Let me know if this works for you.

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

exactly what I needed. Thanks!

0 Kudos