VMware Horizon Community
jgemcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chrome.exe DirectFlex

Hi,

in our Lab we can't get Google Chrome working with DirectFlex.

During capturing with the Application Profiler it seems that closing the application is not recognized correctly.

Any Idea how to get Chrome working ?

Thanks

Jens

0 Kudos
7 Replies
joinerc
Contributor
Contributor

We're seeing similar behavior. When running the Application Profiler and I close Chrome to stop the analysis, the analysis doesn't automatically stop. I have to click the stop analysis button and then I get a warning that Chrome hasn't closed completely. I continue anyways and this is what the analysis captures for us...

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Google

[IncludeFiles]

<AppData>\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Google Chrome.lnk

<AppData>\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\Google Chrome.lnk

When I run Chrome as a user however, none of the settings import/export and Chrome opens in a "first run" mode every time.

So same question, any idea how to get Chrome working? Smiley Happy

Charlie

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

this is my config. I should optimise it better since it's capturing too many objects

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Google

[IncludeIndividualRegistryKeys]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<AppData>\Google

[ExcludeFiles]

<AppData>\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\ChromeDWriteFontCache

it works with the enterprise msi of chrome and with some GPO that are telling to put Chrome user data in the roaming profile instead in Local

Cristiano

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This works for me w/o the GP settings

# Flex config file generated with VMware User Environment Manager Application Profiler version 8.6

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Google

[IncludeIndividualRegistryKeys]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Google\Chrome

[ExcludeFiles]

<LocalAppData>\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\ChromeDWriteFontCache

[ExcludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache

<LocalAppData>\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash

<LocalAppData>\Google\Chrome\User Data\pnacl

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Chrome by default does not close on exit,

See attached the screenshot from Chrome Settings

cHROME.PNG

Can you try this config File if it does look good

[IncludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\Software\Google\Chrome

[IncludeFolderTrees]
< LocalAppData >\Google\Chrome

[ExcludeFolderTrees]
< LocalAppData >\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Application Cache
< LocalAppData >\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache
< LocalAppData >\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage
< LocalAppData >\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Media Cache

[ExcludeFiles]
*.tmp

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
Pim999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem is that chrome starts multiple processes and does not close those processes in a way that Windows can track.

The solution is to run Chroms as one process. Here how to enable this:

Right click on the chrome shortcut icon from desktop or start menu go to properties click on the shortcut tab, you can see target as “C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe ” juts add –single-process (its two dash  before single- – and 1 after )and click OK.  it will look like this "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --single-process

single process chrome

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry to drag up an old post, but has anyone managed to come up with a different way to handle chrome in the past year? Wherever I've deployed UEM, Chrome is more often that not the app that consumes the most amount of space within a profile, increases logon times to unacceptable levels, or just won't work with UEM full stop.

I've been using the config file posted by Gustav in most deployments, but that doesn't work with direct flex, so is not that useful when someone has a 700+mb chrome profile.

Attempts to modify that file to exclude more only seems to result in no persistence for Chrome.

The solution directly above to modify the shortcut would be more suitable if Chrome's own master preferences file worked consistently, as we could just use UEM to deploy a modified shortcut. Unfortunately, it doesn't so you end up with chrome forcing out a shortcut and pinned item without the additional argument.

0 Kudos
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Google offers a GPO template for chrome, not sure if it has the single-process option though. According to this, it does not.

Policy List - The Chromium Projects

You could use Windows registry to change chrome.exe's image file execution options.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\chrome.exe"
  /v "Debugger" /t REG_SZ /d "chrome.exe --single-process" /f

Launching the Debugger Automatically

On Chrome 53 Enterprise MSI or Standard, I could not get --single-process to work with a shortcut, command line or the debugger trick. It looks like that flag does not work anymore.

There is the possibility to create an exe that launches chrome and waits for all chrome.exe processes to end before ending itself. DirectFlex would watch for this new process instead.

Something in powershell would look like this:

$process = (Start-Process -FilePath "chrome.exe")

do {(Write-Host "Waiting for all chrome.exe to exit..."),(Start-Sleep -Seconds 15)}

until ((Get-WMIobject -Class Win32_process -Filter "Name='chrome.exe'" -ComputerName . | where {$_.Name -eq "chrome.exe"}).ProcessID -eq $null)

Powershell can be converted to .exe using this script:

TechNet PS2EXE : "Convert" PowerShell Scripts to EXE Files

You would run: .\ps2exe.ps1 -inputFile c:\temp\chrome-directflex.ps1 -outputFile c:\temp\chrome-directflex.exe -x86 -noconsole

and it will spit out an exe that wont exit until all chrome.exe's have exited. I'll attach it to this post.

0 Kudos