VMware Horizon Community
MIWE_Heinrich
Contributor
Contributor

Big size of ADMX log files

Dear VMware DEM Forum community,

We've been experiencing some issues with the latest version of VMware Dynamic Environment Manager, specifically with the ADMX log files of the computer policies. Despite setting the client GPO to limit the log file size to 512 MB with the registry value HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware UEM\Agent\Computer Configuration MaximumLogFileSize, we're still seeing some log files that are over a gigabyte in size.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with log file size limitations not working properly? Are there any suggestions for resolving this issue?

Additionally, we would like to inquire if there are plans to include this registry GPO in an ADMX template in the future.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards, Michael

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MIWE_Heinrich
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, the GPO is set to limit the log file size to 512 KB of course.

The next Problem I found is, that the log contains DEBUG Level logs but its set to Error Logs.

"LogLevel"=dword:00000002
"AdmxLogging"=dword:00000001
"MaximumLogFileSize"=dword:00000040
"MaxConfigFilePathWait"=dword:0000000a
"RefreshInterval"=dword:00000001
"RefreshIntervalOffset"=dword:00000014
"ContinueRefreshAfterLogon"=dword:00000001
"AllowAdmxOverride"=dword:00000001

Log:
2023-03-07 06:43:40.487 [DEBUG] Removed value 'AllowOnlineTips' from key 'Explorer'
2023-03-07 06:43:40.487 [DEBUG] Removed value 'EnableFirstLogonAnimation' from key 'System'
2023-03-07 06:43:40.487 [DEBUG] Removed value 'DisableStartupSound' from key 'System'

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @MIWE_Heinrich,

Your GPO probably gets applied too late for the settings to be picked up: DEM's FlexService reads its configuration when it starts, and won't pick up any subsequent changes.

Maybe you can use XML-based configuration instead? (You can (obviously) not use that for the MaxConfigFilePathWait setting, so that should be baked into the base image.)

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @MIWE_Heinrich,

I recently realized that I had misinterpreted your post. Even though you very clearly indicated that you're talking about the verbose ADMX log, I somehow kept looking at the "normal" log for computer environment settings.

You are completely correct: the logic for truncating a log file once it reaches a configured size was not at all being applied for the verbose ADMX log for computer environment settings. This has now been tracked as internal bug DEM-8, and has been fixed for the 2306 release. If you would like a hot patch for the version you are currently using, please file an SR with VMware support.

Apologies for the confusion.

0 Kudos