VMware Horizon Community
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Best method to manage network printers with instant clones and DEM

We are planning on migrating our users from linked clones on Horizon 7.13 to instant clones on Horizon 8.4 (2111). Previously we used location based printing for most of our users and it worked just fine.

I've worked on setting up the new location based printing using the LBP Setting UI via GPO and it doesn't work. I don't know why. Same settings for the AutoConnect Map Additional Printers for Horizon 7 via GPO works fine. 

Is there a better method to auto create/map printers for users with DEM? We don't use a print server. I've never had good luck using them in the past.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @Chris_Nodak,

DEM provides a good rules-based mapping logic. You can create conditions that would trigger printer mappings based on AD Group membership, Horizon Session attributes, Refresh the printer mappings when reconnection, etc.

You could also look at VMware Integrated Printing, which pulls local endpoint printers into the session.

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

From what I can tell, location based printing should still work, I just don't understand why it isn't.

Most of our in house users are on zero clients so we need to map printers for them. I am not seeing how to map printers in DEM w/o using a print server though. I really want to avoid setting up a print server. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From what I can tell, location based printing should still work, I just don't understand why it isn't.

Have you updated the location-based printing user interface as well?

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2111/horizon-remote-desktop-features/GUID-F599DFBC-1713-44...

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, installed the new .dll and set up a new printer same way I had it set up for Horizon 7. Everything appears to work except the printer never maps. Driver is injected into the master image when I deploy via MDT. I can manually add the printer so I know the driver works.

0 Kudos