VMware Horizon Community
jqvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Appstack and Horizon USB issues when UEM in installed but not configured

Word of warning for anyone starting a UEM migration, it appears that UEM can mess with PCoIP USB if it is left in a running but unconfigured state.

We installed UEM in a Gold master image and left the service to automatic startup, with no UEM GPO's were applied to the linked clone pools.  (We were preparing for UEM migration/testing)

USB devices fail to attach in the initial login session, a reconnect on PCoIP allows the devices to pass through from the Zero client.   The issue also seems to delay the attachment of Appvolumes appstacks.  PCoIP server log reports:

LVL:1 RC:   0        SOFT_USB :VHUBLIB(error): GetUemStatus : Failed to open key path is Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware UEM\SessionData\1

LVL:1 RC:   0        SOFT_USB :VHUBLIB(error): The UEM component is still not ready yet

Workaround is to set the service to manual/disabled until UEM is required for a desktop pool.   If UEM is enabled at login (say via the GP extension method), the issue does not occur.   We didn't raise a case for this, but an interesting one anyway.

(UEM 9, Appvol 2.9, Horizon 7)

Josh

85 Replies
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the latest that comes with 7.4

it takes about 3 hours to upgrade all components including master images to 7.4 since no more composer server with instant clones.

so just upgrade to 7.4. it's quick and no more excuse to stay on older versions.

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wish I could but my team does not manage Horizon Smiley Sad ....we never had a chance to play with the smart features much because like you did we committed to UEM only to discover issues with USB redirection. We were forced to implement the registry workaround. Might be something that you have already done but did you enable the USB redirection through smart policies?

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

Did you end up resolving the issue?

0 Kudos
nickerm
Contributor
Contributor

I am using Horizon 7.4 and UEM 9.3, the most current version available for both, and still had to implement this registry key in order to get USB redirection to work from Teradici zero client.

I'm going to open a case to make sure that VMware is still aware this is ongoing issue.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi nickerm,

Sorry, I missed this post a couple of days ago. We are definitely aware of this issue, and it's actively being investigated. Please ask your support contact to check if your case matches the symptoms of PR 2059770.

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, it still does not work in version 7.4 and using latest UEM.

I opened another ticket.

In an earlier post, you said it was 'fixed' in 7.4.

Im not sure where you are getting that information.

We need to get this working.....

Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It doesnt work for our company either with the latest 7.4 enterprise and latest UEM.

If you find a fix, let me know, I also opened a new ticket.

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Instant0Darth0Vader,

In an earlier post, you said it was 'fixed' in 7.4.

Im not sure where you are getting that information.

The way I understand it (and I think that's what I've communicated in the past) is that Horizon 7.3.1 introduced a fix for this issue (which you had to enable through an additional registry setting).

Something seems to have changed in Horizon 7.4 that breaks this again, under certain circumstances. This is currently being investigated, and any additional data points will be helpful to get to the bottom of this, so thank you for opening a ticket.

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks!,

To be clear, there is NO fix I have found yet

Do you run any PCoIP clients, if so I can use your help.

I am trying to find a consultant or somebody at VMware that runs PCoIP clients and knows how to run UEM and have USB ports work with them.

Where I think the disconnect is this:

When contacting support for PCoIP and UEM error, the VMware technician will try to establish a PCoIP session using a PC and using the Horizon View client on the PC.

This is not the problem and not a true representation of UEM and USB ports not working on PCioIP clients when using UEM.

I wish somebody at VMware would fix this problem as it is killing our company.

I have an open support ticket with VMware and we are going to spend time on using a .admx file that is 'extra' for "Smart Card authentication"

This solution will also fail and IS NOT the problem and really a big waste of time as VMware does not seem to understand the problem.

The problem is:

With Horizon View 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4:

USB ports DO NOT work if you use UEM in a configured state or in an unfigured state with PCoip clients or using smart policies or no smart polices.

Not PCoip running on some PC using the horizon view client. A real PCoip client that is used in a company.

Also, this thread keeps talking about a fantasy "registry fix" (I posted one that does not work). If there is a registry fix, what is it and who do I talk to that actually has it working?

Lets stop talking about a fantasy registry fix that does not work and nobody ever  posts.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Instant0Darth0Vader,

In case you didn't already see this in my other post in this thread, please ask your VMware support contact to check whether your case matches the symptoms of PR 2059770

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For the record, we ARE using PCoIP zeeo clients with UEM 9.2 and View 7.2 (still, will upgrade to 9.3 and 7.4) ) and have fixed the issue with the following change to the registry.

Maybe it's not the perfect solution but for us it's a good workaround. We also have a set of users that don't use UEM at all, what we did there is simply disable the service using GPO machine policy altogether, and that works as well.

In the meantime, here's a possible workaround. Note that this disables support for Horizon Smart Policies (which were introduced in Horizon 7.0 and UEM 9.0).

• Stop the UEM service
  • Create a HorizonLogic REG_DWORD registry value at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Immidio\Flex Profiles (if you're using Group Policy to configure UEM), or atHKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware UEM\Agent\Configuration (if you're using NoAD) and set it to 0
  • Start the UEM service
  • Remove the Version registry value at HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware UEM if present

Again, this will break Horizon Smart Policies. UEM will still put the relevant smart policies configuration settings into the registry, but the corresponding Horizon components might no longer pick up that configuration.

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok, that registry entry does not work with 7.4 and 9.3.

Is anybody running 7.4 and 9.3 with UEM and do you have USB ports that work on zero or thin clients?????

This is very critical.

Its not a 'bug', this is a disaster and I keep going in circles with 'fixes' that don't work and with versions that supposedly work 2 versions back.

Please, is there anybody that has this working????

Does VMware have this working???

0 Kudos
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Our environment consists of UEM 9.2,  Horizon 7.4, and PCoIP clients the only way we got USB working for our clients is setting the registry workaround supplied above.

I agree that a permanent fix needs to be developed because we do require the functionality of Horizon Smart policies.

Hopefully VMware or someone is able to provide you with some sort of workaround.

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I'm starting to make some progress.

Although I'm running 7.4 connection severs and have UEM 9.3 installed on my PC, I will try 7.4 agent on the gold image with UEM 9.2 agent on same gold PC.

if this doesn't work, I will go to 7.2 agent with uem 9.2 agent.

and I'll make the registry change on every instance of the  iterations until I can find one that works.....

(7.4 agent with 9.3 UEM agent) = does not work

(7.4 agent with 9.2 UEM agent) = testing...

(7.2 agent with 9.2 UEM agent) = testing....

0 Kudos
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let me help you out, so we have in the past also had it working with UEM 9.2 and Horizon 7.2.

Let me know

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok great.

so, this discussion led me to a solution.

I'm running 7.4 connection servers and have 9.3 UEM on my PC for management.

But the solution is to load 7.4 agent on the Gold image and use 9.2 UEM agent on the gold image instead of 9.3 UEM agent.

And use the registry fix modifying the imundo flex and remove the version.

What had me stumped, was the 9.3 agent would not work with the registry hack, but simply loading 9.2 uem agent while keeping 7.4 horizon agent works.

I'm done. thanks.

deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good stuff, now you're in the same boat as the rest of us!

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We have installed UEM 9.3 (and Appvolumes 2.13.3 but no idea if that does something) in combincation with View 7.2 and USB drive redirection on W10 works like a charm on a Tera Zero client.

We are using W10 1703 CB, no idea if that might be the reason it does work.

We will be upgrading to View 7.4 within a few weeks, will keep you informed if it keeps working.

One thing though, because we are NOT using Horizon Smart policies within UEM we do use the workaround as posted above with the creation of the regkeys.

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for that info.

All my gold images are currently LTSB

• So, what I did was download a fresh copy of Windows 10 1703 (not LTSB) today to build a new gold image.

• It was upgraded to 1709 during the windows patching.

• So I have a Windows 10 1709 image.

• Then I 'optimized it', with just one pass of optimization, using the VMware lab tool with the VSI template.

• and I loaded 7.4.0 Horizon Agent with 9.2 UEM.

All my admx files in my central store are for 7.4 and 9.3, but I thought I would start with just the 9.2 UEM first.

And, you are Right!, no modification to registry is necessary if a Windows 10 1709 (or 1703) image is used.

And no special 'advanced admx' is needed.

So, I guess I will throw out those old LTSB images....

I have not tried 7.4 with its 9.3 UEM, just doing the above took all day of downloading, patching, and so on...painful.

Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I feel your pain...

Windows 10 is the worst operating system ever for administrators. The lack of management options are killing. And blocking the upgrade from 1703 to 1709 is almost as complicated as creating a rocket that goes to Mars.. Smiley Happy

The reason i posted the above message was more to point out that it is not UEM 9.3 that is causing the grief. It could well be 7.4 or the older Windows version.. Or the LTSB off course.

0 Kudos