VMware Horizon Community
jqvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Appstack and Horizon USB issues when UEM in installed but not configured

Word of warning for anyone starting a UEM migration, it appears that UEM can mess with PCoIP USB if it is left in a running but unconfigured state.

We installed UEM in a Gold master image and left the service to automatic startup, with no UEM GPO's were applied to the linked clone pools.  (We were preparing for UEM migration/testing)

USB devices fail to attach in the initial login session, a reconnect on PCoIP allows the devices to pass through from the Zero client.   The issue also seems to delay the attachment of Appvolumes appstacks.  PCoIP server log reports:

LVL:1 RC:   0        SOFT_USB :VHUBLIB(error): GetUemStatus : Failed to open key path is Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware UEM\SessionData\1

LVL:1 RC:   0        SOFT_USB :VHUBLIB(error): The UEM component is still not ready yet

Workaround is to set the service to manual/disabled until UEM is required for a desktop pool.   If UEM is enabled at login (say via the GP extension method), the issue does not occur.   We didn't raise a case for this, but an interesting one anyway.

(UEM 9, Appvol 2.9, Horizon 7)

Josh

85 Replies
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any updates? This issue is still on going and the only way to resolve the problem is using the registry which disabled smart policies.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi deep184,

Which versions of Horizon and UEM are you using, and what kind of redirection features of the Horizon agent are you using? USB, smart card? Any zero clients?

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Horizon 7.2 and UEM 9.2.

Just USB for now but we will eventually be using the PCoIP policies.

Wyse P25 zero client.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

UEM 9.2.1 fixes an issue that addresses the "User Environment Manager is installed but not configured" scenario from the topic of this thread.

However, I assume that won't fix your issue, as you have UEM configured instead of just installed. For this USB-related issue (which I think only affects zero clients, but I'm not quite sure) you will need to upgrade to Horizon 7.3.1, which introduces a configuration setting to deal with this scenario. Sorry, I don't have all the details – this is change in Horizon, not in UEM. GSS should be able to help you out with that.

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah I was reading up on the update and noticed it wouldn’t help my issue as an earlier poster mentioned to be using 9.2.1.  You are correct it only doesn’t work on the zero clients works fine using horizon client from physical maxhines.

Another issue on the Horizon side Smiley Happy still waiting on the PCoIP policies not working.

Thanks for the quick repsonse

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We had the exact same issue as OP.

We are in the testing fase of implementing UEM and mostly are trying to use it for migrations of settings between W7 and W10, also looking at user personalisation options.

What we did for now is simply disable the VMWARE UEM service altogether and refreshed the machines. After that users are able to connect USB drives again.

Trying to get a grip on the info posted here but would we see the exact same issue if we were to set the service to automatic again but do set GPO's for it? As said, our intend is to use it in the near future.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Ray_handels,

UEM 9.2.1 fixes an issue for the "installed but not configured" scenario, but if you're using zero clients you will also need to update to Horizon 7.3.1, and configure a particular setting (that I don't know the details of...)

If you reenable the service and configure UEM, you won't suffer from the "installed but not configured" issue, but if you're using zero clients you'll still hit the Horizon-related issue.

0 Kudos
Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to do the trick but we will soon require the bandwidth policies to be configured. Any updates regarding this issue? If not does anyone know of alternative methods that could be used to manage the bandwidth policies based on user security groups?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe that you are able to use the policies in Windows, just add the pcoip adm(x) file to your GPO.

This setting only disables the option to set these policies using UEM. The biggest downside is that you now have 2 places you need to look at for policies instead of just UEM.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Note that if you're using recent version of UEM and Horizon (and apply the necessary Horizon settings), you don't need the "turn off all Horizon Smart Policies support" workaround. Would that be an option?

0 Kudos
Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have Horizon 7.2 and UEM 9.2.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is the fix for this??

I upgrade to Horizon 7.4 thinking this would fix it

also running UEM and it is configured and I use it!

Also I have Terradici 5.2 firmware PCOIP clients.

Help!

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Instant0Darth0Vader,

I think you probably still need to configure some registry setting to enable the fix in the Horizon agent. I don't have any details on that, so your best bet would be to get in touch with VMware GSS.

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes thank you, I will open a support ticket as you suggested.

Just wondering if the community had an answer 1st. Looks like nobody has an answer.

The configuration we have is:

UEM IS fully implemented

Terridicia 2 chipset with 5.5.1 firmware. This is the newest firmware I can install without paying for a subscription.

Horizon View Enterprise 7.4 (yes the latest ver!!!)

Instant clones (exclusively)

Now that im using UEM, I am fully vested in it! I cannot NOT use UEM or have a workaround that breaks UEM

We need UEM and PCoIP terra 2   5.5.1 firmware zero clients to have their USB ports work.

I suspect with the push towards Blast Extreme that VMware has given up on PCoip and has created some conflicts.

Dell makes a great 3040 zero client that will run blast I assume, but we have a bunch of terra 2 zero clients that also need to work without blast extreme.

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Now that im using UEM, I am fully vested in it! I cannot NOT use UEM or have a workaround that breaks UEM

Very happy to hear that! Sorry that we don't have the specifics for that Horizon agent setting, but if you have any questions regarding UEM, this forum is the place to be!

0 Kudos
jqvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So after my OP and original workaround, our issue reoccurred following a reinstall of View 7.0 agent and UEM 9.1.0.  All Zero client USB was blocked on connect and reconnect.

We applied the two regkey changes via GPO and USB started working again.  Thanks for the progress and support UEMdev​ and everyone on the community!

Instant0Darth0Vader​ did you install UEM 9.2.1+ with your Horizon 7.4?

Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I opened a ticket with vmware, this is the response:

In the meantime, here's a possible workaround. Note that this disables support for Horizon Smart Policies (which were introduced in Horizon 7.0 and UEM 9.0).

• Stop the UEM service
  • Create a HorizonLogic REG_DWORD registry value at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Immidio\Flex Profiles (if you're using Group Policy to configure UEM), or at HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware UEM\Agent\Configuration (if you're using NoAD) and set it to 0
  • Start the UEM service
  • Remove the Version registry value at HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware UEM if present

Again, this will break Horizon Smart Policies. UEM will still put the relevant smart policies configuration settings into the registry, but the corresponding Horizon components might no longer pick up that configuration.

So. it looks like if you want to use UEM with PCoIP clients, then it will BREAK Horizon Smart Polices.

VMWARE needs to fix this and not provide a broken product, especially if we are paying for the enterprise product.

This is Horizon 7.4  (I thought they would have tried to fix it since the release of 7.2, but I guess they dont really care about PCoip anymore)

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Instant0Darth0Vader,

I'm sorry to hear that that was the response you received from VMware support... That workaround should no longer be necessary as of Horizon 7.3. Can you please send me the case number in a private message so I can follow up with GSS?

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what is the fix?

have you tested it as working in 7.4?. doesnt work for me.

i guess i have have to do the reg edits.

Im just looking for an answer. Nobody here can tell me it works other then regedits.

and, i'm the only person that posted the regedits so thankyou everybody for not helping and wasting my time.

this whole thread is one giant waste of time.

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which version of UEM are using?

I’m still on an older version of Horizon and the registry solution is working for me now. I’m currently  not using the smart features but I will need them down the road. Hopefully at this time we will upgrade Horizon to the newer version.

0 Kudos