VMware Horizon Community
LFC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AppVolumes User Writable Volumes and UEM

Hello

We are implementing VMware Horizon Enterprise and are having some pretty major issues with AppVolumes v2.10 and UEM v9.

The way our Exchange E-Mail service is configured requires us to have an Outlook OST file. A number of options for handling this file exist, the main two being to store the OST file on a network share, outside the user profile, and the second method seems to be to use AppVolumes User Writable Volumes. We have tested both, and they both appear to work.

Our issue is that as soon as UEM Agent is installed in our desktop build, the User Writable Volume ceases to work. More worrying is that all data that was previously held on the writable volume disappears and never comes back. This includes desktop folders (not redirected) as well as the OST file.

I have been informed by VMware Support that UEM is not compatible in conjunction with AppVolumes Writable volumes as they are both attempting to ‘manage’ the user profile (which is mandatory). I can understand the logic, yet cannot find anywhere in any documentation which support this statement. In fact there are numerous blogs and articles which say how well AppVolumes and UEM work well together without actually adding Writable Volumes into the mix.

I’m sure I’m not the only person who has come across this issue. Has anyone got any experience of configuring this type of environment? Or can suggest a more appropriate configuration?

Thanks in advance

Sean

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Sean,

Did you install UEM before or after the App Volumes agent ? The right way is to install UEM before the App Volumes agent.

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
LFC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To be honest, I'm not completely sure. Is that documented anywhere for reference? as we use an MDT script to create our Gold images, so it should just be a case of re-ordering the script.

I will give it a try now and let you know the results. Thank you

Can I confirm the order of installation is therefore as follows in our script?

VMware Tools > Reboot

VMware Horizon Agent > Reboot

VMware UEM Agent > Reboot

App Volumes Agent > Reboot

Thanks

Sean

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Let's try that and see if it solves the problem

Raymond

0 Kudos
bclyde
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

did anyone get any further with this? This is a good thread!

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you check if the remove local profile at logoff policy is enabled in the UEM Advanced settings policy template ?

If it is, please disable this policy and try again

Ray

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis

How did you create the mandatory profile?

Please use this guide if you want to use mandatory profiles on Windows 10: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/mandatory-user-profile

0 Kudos