VMware Horizon Community
MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Antivirus impact to UEM profile upload (.tmp and .zip files)

Hi everyone!

We've been working on a migration from Persona Management to UEM and wanted to share an issue that we had.  There was a similar post in the UEM board that helped to lead me to the solution of creating an antivirus exclusion but it took a while to get there.  I wanted to post this to hopefully help someone else down the road.

Intermittently, users would lose their settings and we started digging into it.  As we looked through the UEM profile archives, we discovered the impacted application configs had a .tmp extension instead of .zip.  Additionally, the log files included fatal errors indicating that the .tmp file could not be renamed to .zip.  It looks like the UEM data flow is something like:

Application setting on the machine ---> creation of .tmp file in profile archive --->  UEM renames/converts .tmp to .zip

In this case, I believe our AV solution was still trying to scan the .tmp files while UEM was trying to rename them and was ultimately unable to do so.  Long story short, we created an exclusion for the profile folders in the AV console and we are now seeing the consistent creation of the .zip files which results in users being able to retain their settings.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Mr. Cheesecake,

Just to be sure, I assume you are familiar with this document ?

Antivirus Considerations in a VMware Horizon 7 Environment: VMware Horizon 7

This document also includes anti-virus exclusions for App Volumes and User Environment Manager.

Kind regards,

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos