VMware Digital Workspace Community
GemmaNavas1
Contributor
Contributor

Cache Folder Workspace ONE UEM

Hi All,

We are experiencing a dramatically increase of the hard disk where WO1 is installed. The main cause is the Cache Folder that occupies over 70 GB (93% of the capacity). This issue was detected two weeks ago with the last Windows Server security-patch updated. We suspected that IIS is not working properly with the pagination of the Device Server of the WO1 (we managed only +2000 devices, so that is not the problem because the server is full of capacity). 

By your experience, where would it be the root cause? Does anyone experience something related?

Thank you!

Gemma Navas

instalaciones@offshoretech.net

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AaronWhittaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We asked the same question, we have a lot more folder than you too. Support at first said on a call that we could delete them with no issue, then when we asked for it in writing, they came back and said don't delete them and that they would confirm. I then went on leave and they closed the ticket. I haven't had a chance to log another ticket yet so I would be interested to hear what others have to say about it.

0 Kudos
GemmaNavas1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply, Aaron.

Perhaps, someone can  shed some light on the issue.

KR.

Gemma Navas

instalaciones@offshoretech.net

0 Kudos
Phil_Helmling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey @GemmaNavas1,

I have no idea what is causing the cache folder to fill up or whether you can delete the cache files. I know you can manually delete orphaned file storage blobs (app installers) that would be stored on the configured file storage path. For this, use the PurgeUtility log to determine what is not being purged. 

@aaronk I have suggested to support that they first determine if the ACLs on the folders are actually correct. The screenshot I saw had a SID for the user. Also the username configured in the console to impersonate and access the DFS is supposed to be in DOMAIN\Username format. Not sure why the screenshot had UPN.

Phil

0 Kudos
gnavas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your reply. We have just added size to HD because it was just over 93% and the cache folder is not increasing, it keeps in the same size. We are going to schedule an upgrade of Device Server and Console (the issue is in the Console) to 22.10 version and see if this fix it.  I don't know if the root cause is an IIS performance problem in the server but actually the Event Viewer does not show any suspicious in this way.

Much appreciated! 

0 Kudos
Phil_Helmling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ok great!

0 Kudos
gnavas
Contributor
Contributor

Phil_Helming

We are updating a on-prem environment from 22.06 ( for instance in 21.05 version, Java 1.8 was added by the installer) up to 22.09 (without checking version of the Java). The problem is the Windows Server 2016 is installed on a RED-HAT with an openjdk 11+ version.

Could any incompatiblity with this java version for the AWCM service?

Many thanks!

Gemma Navas

Offshoretech SL

0 Kudos
Phil_Helmling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Gemma, I'm not sure what you mean by Windows Server 2016 is installed on RedHat. If it is a virtual machine on Redhat, then it doesn't matter as it is completely containerised. 

Checkout this upgrade guide - https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/2209/UEM_Upgrade.pdf

just google search for "upgrade Workspace ONE UEM 2206"

0 Kudos
Mario_Giese
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

as far as I know the cache folder is used for caching applications which you deploy via WSO.
Do you have a File Storage configured (All Settings > Installation > File Path?)
There is an option to disable File Storage Caching. If this is activated the Device Service Server will cache the Packages while they are requested by the clients.
If you have a big amount of internal Apps, this can cause the big amount of Data.
This is mentioned here under "Allocate Sufficient Hard Disk Capacity": https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/services/ReportsAnalytics/GUID-AWT-FS-INTRODUCTI...
I think if you disable the option, the content of the cache folder will still be the same because WSO is not deleting the files if you disable it afterwards But it will not grow further.

I can't confirm that deleting the files in the cache folder will not cause any problems, because I haven't tried it.
But from my understanding the DS will catch the files needed from the the Fileserver everytime an installation is triggered by a client. Therefore it shouldn't harm to delete it.
Also if you need to replace a Device Service Server you will reinstall WSO on it and there will be no cached data in it. That's another reason why there shouldn't be a problem.

If you find out another reason why the cache folder expands this way, please let me know.

I hope this helps a bit.

BR Mario

0 Kudos