VMware Cloud Community
bleuze
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

windows 2003 R2 tools and network driver

I converted a physical windows server 2003 R2 32 bit machine to esxi virtual. Now it boots up but no network driver for the auto selected network card. Also if I try to install vmware tools from esxi it does nothing. Other windows systems automatically mount the tools cvc and install. This one does not even mount a tools dvd.

I am heading over to that branch this wekend and hope someone has some pointers on how to proceed to get a working network card and vmware tools installed. This is esxi 7. When I converted I did not use latest esxi hardware version. It suggested I use version 18, I went with version 14. I know I can upgrade later but cannot downgrade. so first question is should I update to a higher hardware version or leave it at 14.

Next, where do I find the tools DVD on the esxi host so I can manually mount it on this virtual machine? or can I download the tools dvd somewhere?

Finally what do you suggest to use as network card. I see in the compatibility guide I can use e1000, vmxnet or vmxnet3. I think what it automatically selected was an AMD something adapter so I obviously have to change that.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The "E1000" network adapter type should work out of the box for Windows 2003. "VMXNET3" is a virtual 10G adapter, which however requires an additional driver (included in VMware Tools). AFAIK VMware Tools 10.0.12 is the latest version that supports Windows 2003.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The "E1000" network adapter type should work out of the box for Windows 2003. "VMXNET3" is a virtual 10G adapter, which however requires an additional driver (included in VMware Tools). AFAIK VMware Tools 10.0.12 is the latest version that supports Windows 2003.

André

0 Kudos
bleuze
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot a_p_  That will save me a lot of time

0 Kudos
bleuze
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution