VMware Cloud Community
dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor

win2008r2 standard edition - P2V

hi! I've a physical machine running Win2008 R2 standard version that I would like to convert into VM for patch and software testing.

The plan is to do the P2V via VMware converter 5.5 standalone from physical to vm (Run the VM on a Win7 Pro machine installed with VMware player4.0.6 or server2.0.2). I would like to retain the same name as the physical machine. Once the VM is up, I will shutdown the physical machine and connect the VM to the network for patching and software testing. If there's an issue with the VM, I would like to be able to power on the physical machine and expect it to be up and running as before while the vm is shutdown.

My question would be:

1) Would I be prompted to key in the win2008 license key again in the VM or phsycial machine?

2) Do I need to change the UUID?

3) Do I need to unjoin/join the server to the AD domain?

4) What would be recommended app to host the new vm? VMware player 4.0.6 or VMware server 2.0.2?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
corvettefisher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1) Since the HW will change the Key will prompt you, normally you will have a 30 day grace period to re enter or reactivate windows on the virtual machine

2) Not necessary in any P2V I have done

3) No

4) Generally you should use ESXi(free) for hosting your servers and services but Workstation 9 or 10 can host them as well as player, VMware server is no longer supported by vmware or Converter.

The important thing to note if you plan on using player or workstation instead of ESXi, is to make sure the proper hardware version is selected. If using workstation or player, generally you want ESXi 5.x (hardware version 9)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

1. You will most likely be prompted to activate the VM after converting it. Remember, that you may need two separate licenses for Windows and the applications to be compliant.
  2. Not sure what you are asking for with the UUID!?
  3. Most likely you will need to unjoin/join each time you switch the servers. This depends on the machine account/password policies in your domain.
  4. VMware Player 6, or even better VMware Workstation 10 which allows to use snapshots, which is very helpful for testing.

What I am concerned about with this approach is data integrity. Can you ensure that no data is accessed/changed while the VM is active? What about dependencies to other systems, when you run the upgrades?

André

0 Kudos