VMware Cloud Community
bobbie82
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

win2000 virtualisation fails to start inaccessible_boot_device

hello all,

i virtualized my windows 2000 physical machine using VMWare vCenter Convertor Standalone 4.0.1 and the process ended without errors. after that, i opened the new virtual machine with VMWare Workstation 7.1.2 build-301548 and the the windows starting logo appeared. somewhere in the middle of the progress bar i got a blue screen with the following message:

• STOP: 0x0000007B (0xED01F84C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)*

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

i checked the settings of the virtual machine and everything seems to be alright. the physical machine had an IDE controller and 2 partitions and so is the virtual machine set. i tried also to configure the machine with vmware convertor standalone again but that didnt help either. i also searched the www for a solution but i couldnt find any.

would anyone have some tips what should i do to get the VM working

thanks in advance

greetings,

bobbie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Bobbie,

Windows 2000 is better processed by older Converter 3.0.3. Try with this one.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Bobbie,

Windows 2000 is better processed by older Converter 3.0.3. Try with this one.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
bobbie82
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answers.

@Franck: i downloaded an older version of the converter and i am currently installing it.. i will soon try to convert it again...

@checking6: the URL you sent me is about "Injecting SCSI controller device drivers into Windows" and i have an IDE controller.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@checking6: the URL you sent me is about "Injecting SCSI controller device drivers into Windows" and i have an IDE controller.

yep - that is why you should use converter 3.0.3 for win2000 - that version does not misconfigure the p2v task per default as the newer version do

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
bobbie82
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello again,

the conversion with version 3.0.3 was successful. now the new win2000 virutal machine starts normally. thank you all for your tips and ideas!

regards,

bobbie

0 Kudos