VMware Cloud Community
dragonzfang
Contributor
Contributor

vsphere converter fails to import a Windows 7 image

I'm trying to do a V2V (Import Machine) from the vSphere client - the source machine is a Windows 7 image. I am selecting a Powered-on machine as the source type. When I specify the IP, user name, password and OS family and click Next, it tries to connect to the source machine but returns an error:

"Unable to contact the specified host '<my IP here>'. The host might not be available on the network, there might be a network configuration problem, or the management services on this host are not responding."

If I try this on a Windows Server 2003 or XP machine, it works fine.

The source machine image is only a week old and is running fine.

Is there something I need to do to enable the converter to work with Windows 7 platforms? I have tried both 32 and 64 bit platforms as the source.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is there a firewall running on the Windows 7 machine?

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
dragonzfang
Contributor
Contributor

James,

I thought it was, but when I checked it the Domain network firewall was still enabled - so after adjusting that I was able to get convertor to connect and run. I seem to forget checking the firewall up front - we're just now starting to use Windows 7 more in the workplace. Can't believe I missed that 😕

Thanks a lot!

James

0 Kudos