VMware Cloud Community
GTMK
Contributor
Contributor

vmware-ufad.exe died on startup

I am trying to clone a Windows 2000 Domain Controller using the VMware Converter Boot CD. After setting the IP address and connecting to a share, the "Documents and Settings" and "vmware-temp" directory trees are generated, but then I receive the message

vmware-ufad.exe died on startup, check your %TEMP% setting.

These are the last entries in the log:

\[2007-02-13 22:07:38.890 'App' 1604 info] \[plugin,166] SysMigrationPlugin Init

\[2007-02-13 22:07:38.890 'App' 1604 verbose] Plugin 4 path: ufa-sysReconfig.dll

\[2007-02-13 22:07:38.890 'App' 1604 verbose] Plugin 4 absolute path: X:\VMWARE-CONVERTER\ufa-sysReconfig.dll

\[2007-02-13 22:07:39.406 'App' 1604 info] \[plugin,102] SysReconfigPlugin Init

\[2007-02-13 22:07:39.953 'App' 1604 error] \[utils,132] Cannot create temp directory

Is there anything I could about that? The physical machine is a Dell PE-2550 with 2 NICs.

Georg.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure what the problem is... But I would "strenuously" recommend that you don't P2V a DC, but rather stand up a new VM DC, and retire the physical one.

Some have had success with P2Ving a DC, but I have heard of issues as well. In theory it shouldn't be a big deal, but I wouldn't do it.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
frapposelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how much physical memory have you got on the machine? vmware converter cd creates a ramdrive from memory and it doesn't work correctly if you have 256mb or less.

HTH,

Fabio

0 Kudos
GTMK
Contributor
Contributor

I agree - in real life I would most probably not try to clone a DC, but this is my playground. Anyway, when I connect to the VC rather than to a share, the wizard starts but then it fails after a minute or so with "unknown error".

The host has 1 GB of RAM.

0 Kudos
paulreed
Contributor
Contributor

I had this error due to a permissions problem on the network share i was using.

There was an entry in the log file that indicated that it could not create the temporary directory.

First i was using a guest account (with full rights to the share) and I had this error...

This was fixed by using an administration account (the owner of the directory of the share)

For reference, I am using the boot CD and my share is on a windows 2003 r2 server.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

i'm having the same issue. i'm not using any network share. what are you using a network share for?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos