VMware Cloud Community
AlexAll4
Contributor
Contributor

vmware converter without infrastructure server?

I am a new to VMware and am trying to create a virtual image of an old Ubuntu 7.10 laptop using VMware converter standalone 4.0.1 for the purpose of occasionally running the image in VMware player.

I click "convert machine" tooltip, select source as "powered on machine" and have gone through all the steps to enable ssh, edit sudoers, and sudo VMware config on my machine and that gets me through the first step of the wizard. Note that the "this local machine" radio button is grayed and I need to enter the local ip address of my laptop.

What I'm stuck on is the second step, "Specify Destination". This topic is discussed in an earlier thread, but I don't understand the answer. VMware converter asks me for the VMware Infrastructure server details, but the Server drop down list box is empty with no choices. I don't see why I need a server since I just want to generate a single file, but the software doesn't allow me to leave this blank. I tried running the stand along converter on a windows machine on the same network (pointing to the linux laptop to convert) and I get the same behavior with this drop box being empty.

Do I need to also download VMware ESXi or Server to generate a virtual image of my laptop using VMware converter standalone? I read the documentation for those products briefly and they seem to be unrelated to the simple task that I'm trying to do which is to hot-clone a linux laptop. If I get one of these other programs, do they then need to run on another machine on the local network? I tried installing the VMware server on another computer on my local network, but it told me I had to first uninstall the player, so I didn't go any further.

Maybe this is related to something else then - like having to enable the standalone converter server in linux? - (the about box says the standalone converter is both a client and a server)

Please help!

Alex

0 Kudos
7 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Choose "other" as destination. While I've not converted a Linux VM before, with all other times I've used Converter 4 Standalone, "Virtual Infrastructure" destination is for ESX3 and ESX4 hosts. "Other" is for Workstation/Player type virtual machine.

0 Kudos
AlexAll4
Contributor
Contributor

That doesn't work. The Server drop down list box is empty with no choices. I can't type other or Other, the next button is grayed.

I also tried installing the vmware server on another machine on the same network, but same problem.

0 Kudos
AlexAll4
Contributor
Contributor

I should add that when I enter the info for the vmware server (ip, username, password), I get the message "unable to recognize the server type or version when connecting to the host" even though I can successfully connect under the main "Adminstration ... connect to another server"

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

That doesn't work. The Server drop down list box is empty with no choices. I can't type other or Other, the next button is grayed. I also tried installing the vmware server on another machine on the same network, but same problem.

Are you doing a complete install? It sounds like you're only installing the client portion of Converter, perhaps. Are you logged on as an administrative user when you're installing and when you're running Converter? Perhaps your installer is corrupted. Did you confirm the checksum of the download or have you tried downloading Converter again?

I should add that when I enter the info for the vmware server (ip, username, password), I get the message "unable to recognize the server type or version when connecting to the host" even though I can successfully connect under the main "Adminstration ... connect to another server"

Server1 & Server2 (i.e.: the "free" VMWare Server) uses the same type of virtual machine files as Workstation and Player, which are different than VMWare Infrastructure and vSphere. (i.e.: ESX) The IP address is for your ESX hosts so unless you have an ESX3 or ESX4 for host as a destination, it'll fail. You need to choose Other.

0 Kudos
rahulmraut
Contributor
Contributor

Guys!

Any update on this? Any possible workaround.

I have same issue I tried converter 6 and 5 as well with client alone and client-server both mode.

But getting same issue.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes for Windows - select as destination Workstation or Player machine, then run the VMs with Workstation or Player Smiley Happy

For Linux there is no way to do. Get your free ESXi and use it.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No actually, not for Linux.

The workaround would be to convert manually or use another product.

0 Kudos