VMware Cloud Community
itguybob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware converter splits hard drives into two files

Hello,

I am new to vmware, so forgive me if this is a newbie question.

I am attempting to create a virtual server from a physical server using converter. The server has a C: and 😧 drive, two seperate physical hard drives.

When it completes, I end up with two different vmdk files. Of course, when I boot up the virtual server it has no D drive. How do I either combine those two virtual disk files into one virtual server, or how do I have vmware converter put both hard disks into one virtual disk file?

The server is windows 2003 R2. Both hard disks are basic.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried manually adding the VMDK? With your new virtual machine powered off, in the VM settings, add a hard drive and specify an existing file instead of creating a new one.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried manually adding the VMDK? With your new virtual machine powered off, in the VM settings, add a hard drive and specify an existing file instead of creating a new one.

0 Kudos
itguybob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that was it!

However, the vm will not stay booted up. It reboots itself constantly. It keeps wanting to give the cdrom drive the 😧 drive letter. Is there a way to change the cdrom to a different drive letter in vm options? The only options I see are 😧 and autodetect.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks, that was it!

However, the vm will not stay booted up. It reboots itself constantly. It keeps wanting to give the cdrom drive the 😧 drive letter. Is there a way to change the cdrom to a different drive letter in vm options? The only options I see are 😧 and autodetect.

That is not for the drive letter that is assigned to the drive inside your guest OS. That is selecting which physical CD drive you want to attach to the virtual machine. (i.e.: if you had multiple CD drives on your host physical machine.) To change the drive letter inside the virtual machine, you go to Disk Management. Control Panel, Computer Management, Disk Management.

itguybob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Of course, you hit it on the head. Thanks again.

0 Kudos