VMware Cloud Community
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmware converter freezing 6.4.0

I installed Vmware Converter Standalone to create a VM backup of my Win 10 Pro machine but when I open the app, as soon as I click "convert machine" or "configure machine" it locks up 100%, and I have to end the task. I have used it a bunch in the past, but never had this problem before. 

Clicking anywhere just makes a beep. I tried looking for any open windows that may be hidden but there are none. I've removed it then reinstalled it.  Prior to clicking convert machine, all the menus are functional. Any suggsstions?

I see the following ion the event viewer 

The program converter.exe version 8.6.6.35342 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 5a9c
Start Time: 01d98f40de16ee35
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\converter.exe
Report Id: c6ed0217-86a3-46e5-9d2c-b7ff00b1eb38
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Top level window is idle

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Preeti-P
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you please share the Converter logs?

Logs can be found in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs.

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That folder is empty.

0 Kudos
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

I have also never heard of such behaviour before, too. Really weird.

Btw that folder is for server logs. The client logs are in:
"%LOCALAPPDATA%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client\Logs" (or perhaps "%APPDATA%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client\Logs" in some installations, not sure)

Hopefully there might be something in it.

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It was empty. I wound up using disk2vhd which worked the first time around to get me a working hyper-v backup

I prefer VMware converter though. Just thought it was odd that it wouldn’t let me use it. 

0 Kudos
lalefi
Contributor
Contributor

I never noticed that too, it's weird

Mini Militia App Lock

0 Kudos
kolyani4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, i had this problem also, 

i solved it by changing DPI Screen scale to 100% ( has 300% before ), and problem solved.

Avimarko
Contributor
Contributor

Can confirm this was the solution and now its working. Although with DPI scaling at 100% the screen is too small to read on this laptop. Ridiculous problem VMWARE!