VMware Cloud Community
Halbard433
Contributor
Contributor

vmware converter 6.4 can't connect to vCenter 7.0.3 nor ESXi 6.7

Hello vmware Community,

i'm trying to export a online VM from a vCenter with vmware converter but i can't connect to vCenter using vmware converter.

Everytime i try to connect i get the error that i can't connect to "vcenter" Port 443, is this not supposed to work or am i missing something?

I verified with Test-NetConnection that "vCenter IP" Port 443 is open

Thanks for any suggestions

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@Halbard433,

Please refer the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 6.4 guide, on page 28 it clearly states the default port is 443. Only in case you're using non-default ports to connect to a remote source machine/ESXi host/vCenter Server/Converter Standalone server, you can enter a value for the port after the IP address or the FQDN of the respective machine. For IPv4, enter FQDN-or-IP address:port number.

Using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 6.4 - vCenter Converter Standalone 6.4

So, this is suppose to work. For Windows, please use 'VMCE_HTTPS_PORT' cmd to set the HTTPS port on converter. The default is 443. Remote Converter Standalone clients connect to this port on the server and submit conversion tasks.

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" and consider giving kudos to appreciate!

Regards,
Shen
0 Kudos
Halbard433
Contributor
Contributor

@Shen88 

Thank you for your reply, i think there is a misunderstanding but i got my answer regardless.

I've installed the standalone converter on a server and i'm trying to connect to vCenter using the standalone converter to export a vm from vcenter (vcenter is the source). vcenter is not liste as "Supported Source Type", so my only option is to install the necessary client on the OS to Hot export/clone the VM. I thought i can Hot export/clone the VM without touching the OS

0 Kudos
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

V2V conversions (from vCenter to vCenter, and w/o touching the source OS) work with the source VM powered off. The source type is called "VMware Infrastructure virtual machine"

HTH

0 Kudos