VMware Cloud Community
Joschide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmWare converter 5.5.3 or 5.1 Acronis Server 10 tib. Small tib file no problem. Larger tib "The source parameters are invalid"

Is there a file size limit to the converter? It seems 1 or 2 gig files have no issue, but 50 gig and up causes The source parameters are invalid.  I just tested with a 22 gig tib file and it worked fine.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Converter only supports older Acronis versions (see VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Release Notes). What should work is to use Acronis itself to restore a VM from the .tib file. If the OS doesn't boot after restoring it (e.g. Inaccessible Boot Device) you may run the Converter with the Configure Machine option for the restored VM.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Converter only supports older Acronis versions (see VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Release Notes). What should work is to use Acronis itself to restore a VM from the .tib file. If the OS doesn't boot after restoring it (e.g. Inaccessible Boot Device) you may run the Converter with the Configure Machine option for the restored VM.

André

0 Kudos
Joschide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I access the tib file once I have acronis loaded in the vm?

So far I've created a VM w/ enough space, uploaded the tib to the datastore and launched true image, but I don't see how / where I can access the tib file.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You cannot access the .tib file(s) directly from the datastore. In order to read the data from a datastore, you need to create .iso images with a splitted .tib file(s) on them and connect them through the VM's CD-ROM drive. You should however be able to access the .tib image from a network share on a server (or your client).

André

0 Kudos
Joschide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ah, could I skip acronis and make an ISO image of the system i'm wanting to virtualize?  Can you recommend an ISO image creator for windows server 2003?  Something I can boot from and restore easily in the vm?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, I think I didn't explain this exactly. What I meant is that Acronis has an option to split the .tib images in different sizes (e.g. CD-ROM size, DVD-ROM size) when a backup is created. With such .tib files it is possible to burn each of these files on a CD/DVD (or create an ISO image) using a CD-ROM burning application, then boot the VM from the Acronis boot image and restore from the ISO images (you may need to temporarily add a second virtual CD-ROM for this, i.e. one for Acronis and one for the images).

André

Joschide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh I see.  Thanks.  I'm currently trying your suggestion connecting over the network and it seems to be working fine.  Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos